04 July 2007 Military News
- MND-B Soldier killed during combat operations
- Task Force Lightning Soldier killed
- July 3 airpower summary: A-10 Thunderbolt IIs provide close-air support AFPN 04 Jul 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported Coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan in the following operations July 3, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Operation "Iron Blitz" captures 25 insurgents in June MNF-I 05 Jul 2007 -- Over the past 30 days, Multi-National Division-Baghdad Soldiers captured 25 suspected insurgents during Operation "Iron Blitz" northwest of the Iraqi capital.
- Coalition, Iraqi Forces Taking Fight to Enemy AFPS 04 Jul 2007 -- Working independently or as a team, coalition and Iraqi forces are increasing the pressure on al Qaeda in Iraq and other insurgent groups in the country.
- OP Geronimo Strike finds al Qaeda safe houses MNF-I 04 Jul 2007 -- Paratroopers discovered, then destroyed, three al Qaeda safe houses during an early-morning raid near Jurf As Sukhr July 3.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Essex Stops in Townsville Navy NewsStand 04 Jul 2007 -- USS Essex (LHD 2), commanded by Capt. Brian T. Donegan, arrived in Townsville, July 4 for a liberty port visit after the successful completion of Talisman Saber 2007.
- Russia to Respond if US Rejects Kremlin's Missile-Defense Plan VOA 04 Jul 2007 -- Russia's First Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov says the term "Cold War" will be forgotten if the United States accepts his country's missile-defense plan for Europe
- FREMM programme: Innovative work organisation measures DCNS 04 Jul 2007 -- At the DCNS central works committee* meeting of 4 July 2007, the DCNS management team outlined the work organisation scheme for the FREMM multimission frigate programme. By implementing an innovative industrial and labour policy, DCNS will use its own shipyards and facilities at Brest and Cherbourg to perform tasks that would otherwise have been outsourced to meet the rising cost and competitive performance expectations of the warship market.
- Tbilisi could use military force - South Ossetian representative RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2007 -- The envoy of the unrecognized Georgian republic of South Ossetia in Moscow said Wednesday he did not rule out that Tbilisi could use military force to resolve the Georgian-South Ossetian conflict.
- SOMALIA: Violence forcing residents out of the capital again IRIN 04 Jul 2007 -- Residents of Mogadishu, who had returned to the Somali capital after fleeing recent fighting between government forces and insurgents, are leaving the city again amid continuing violence, local sources said.
- LEBANON: Deminers urge patience as Palestinians grow restless for return home IRIN 04 Jul 2007 -- The demining agency tasked with neutralising unexploded ordnance (UXO) from the six-week conflict between militants and the Lebanese army in the Nahr al-Bared Palestinian refugee camp has said the removal of immediate UXO threats will take at least a month.
- Pakistan Police Battle Religious Militants in Capital VOA 04 Jul 2007 -- A standoff between Pakistani troops and students at a radical mosque has headed into a second night, with more than 1,000 people still holed up in the mosque in Islamabad
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|