06 December 2006 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 06 Dec 2006 [PDF]
- 2nd Soldier killed in Baghdad Sunday
- Correction to Dec. 2 casualty information
- DoD Identifies Navy Casualty
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Dec. 6 AFPN 06 Dec 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Dec. 6.
- 10 US Service Personnel Killed in Iraq VOA 06 Dec 2006 -- The U.S. military says 10 U.S. service personnel were killed in four separate incidents in Iraq Wednesday.
- Afghanistan: U.S. Official 'Marvels' As Afghans Persevere RFE/RL 06 Dec 2006 -- Five years after the demise of the fundamentalist Taliban regime in Afghanistan, there are still questions about the nature of the society and the institutions that will emerge
- Afghan Suicide Attack Kills Eight, Including Two Americans VOA 06 Dec 2006 -- A suicide bombing outside an American security company in southern Afghanistan has killed five Afghans and two Americans
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Senate Confirms Gates as Next Defense Secretary VOA 06 Dec 2006 -- The U.S. Senate has confirmed Robert Gates by a 92-2 vote to be the next secretary of defense, with opposition Democrats expressing hope he will steer a new course in the war in Iraq
- Senate Confirms Gates as 22nd Defense Secretary AFPS 06 Dec 2006 -- The Senate confirmed Robert M. Gates in a 95-2 vote today to be the 22nd U.S. secretary of defense.
- STATEMENT BY SENATOR EDWARD M. KENNEDY ON IRAQ STUDY GROUP AND GATES NOMINATION Office of Sen. Kennedy 06 Dec 2006
- Navy to Christen USNS Alan Shepard 06 Dec 2006 -- The Navy will christen the USNS Alan Shepard, the newest ship in the Lewis and Clark class of underway replenishment ships, on Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2006, during an 8 a.m. PST launching at General Dynamics National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO), San Diego, Calif.
- Warfighters sharpen homeland defense skills during Vigilant Shield AFPN 06 Dec 2006 -- Warfighters assigned to Air Forces Northern and Continental U.S. NORAD Region are honing the skills needed to respond to such threats during Vigilant Shield 07 which began Dec. 4 and runs through Dec. 14 here.
- 3 Air Force installations nominated for excellence AFPN 06 Dec 2006 -- Air Force officials announced the three Air Force installations that have been named as finalists in the Commander-In-Chief's Annual Award for Installation Excellence Dec. 6.
- IMAs, units to share Reserve personnel reductions AFPN 06 Dec 2006 -- Faced with eliminating 7,700 personnel authorizations, Air Force Reserve Command officials have decided to divide those cuts between individual mobilization augmentees and unit reservists.
- Air War College receives joint Phase II certification AFPN 06 Dec 2006 -- Air War College, the Air Force's senior service school, located at Air University here, received Joint Staff J-7's recommendation for Joint Professional Military Education Phase II certification at the culmination of a visit by a certification assessment team in late November.
- German Navy Completes Term as Commander, Task Force 150 Navy NewsStand 06 Dec 2006 -- Royal Navy Commodore Bruce Williams relieved German Rear Adm. Heinrich Lange as commander, Task Force (CTF) 150, Dec. 6 during a change of control ceremony aboard HMCS Ottawa (H 60).
- Maritime Interdiction Leaders Join to Improve Capabilities Navy NewsStand 06 Dec 2006 -- Naval Surface Warfare Center Panama City (NSWC PC)hosted organizational leaders at a conference Nov. 28-29 to organize the development of Expanded Maritime Interdiction Operations (EMIO)-related communications capabilities.
- Commander, Amphibious Group 2 Admiral Visits San Antonio Navy NewsStand 06 Dec 2006 -- Sailors aboard the amphibious transport dock USS San Antonio (LPD 17) received a special visit Aug. 21, from Commander, Amphibious Group 2 Rear Adm. Garry Hall.
- Flight Quarters, Operational Tests Conducted Aboard San Antonio Navy NewsStand 06 Dec 2006 -- USS San Antonio's (LPD 17) air crew landed not one but four different air craft during the completion of Dynamic Interface Testing, Phase One, April 11 and 12.
- Kidd Successfully Completes Sea Trials Navy NewsStand 06 Dec 2006 -- USS Kidd (DDG 100), the newest member of the Arleigh Burke class of AEGIS destroyers, completed initial sea trials Nov. 13-16.
- UN Assembly takes steps towards new treaty regulating global conventional arms trade UN News Centre 06 Dec 2006 -- The United Nations General Assembly today adopted a resolution effectively kicking off a diplomatic process aimed at promulgating a new international treaty on the global trade in conventional arms - a move immediately hailed by Secretary-General Kofi Annan - as it acted on a series of resolutions adopted at the recommendation of its Disarmament and International Security (First) Committee.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 06 Dec 2006
- Press Briefing by Tony Snow The White House 06 Dec 2006
- DoD News: Contracts for December 06, 2006
- General Dynamics NASSCO Launches USNS Alan Shepard (T-AKE 3) General Dynamics 06 Dec 2006 -- General Dynamics NASSCO, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), today launched the U.S. Navy's newest resupply ship, USNS Alan Shepard (T-AKE 3).
- Raytheon Awarded $2.5 Million to Develop Training Course for U.S. Navy Submarine Learning Center Raytheon 07 Dec 2006 -- Raytheon Technical Services Company LLC (RTSC), a subsidiary of Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN), has been awarded a $2.5 million task order under an existing U.S. Navy contract to develop curriculum for the Submarine Learning Center (SLC).
- LOCKHEED MARTIN ANNOUNCES SUCCESSFUL FIRING OF HELLFIRE II MISSILE DURING FRENCH EVALUATION Lockheed Martin 06 Dec 2006 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] announced the successful firing of the combat-proven HELLFIRE® II air-to-ground missile by France's Délégation Générale pour l'Armement (DGA) in Australia.
- RAFAEL Introduces the Sea Spotter - New Generation, Naval IRST System Rafael 06 Dec 2006 -- RAFAEL Armament Development Authority Ltd is developing an advanced Naval IRST system that will enable a naval vessel to automatically locate and pinpoint threats and targets located around it without being exposed to enemy systems.
- Sagem Défense Sécurité : acquisition of Naval and Ground Activities of EADS Defence & Security Systems in France Sagem (Safran group) 06 Dec 2006 -- Sagem Défense Sécurité (SAFRAN Group) announced today the acquisition of the naval and ground business, part of EADS Defence & Security Systems’ defence electronics business located at Les Ulis.
- SAIC Awarded J63 Enterprise Command and Control Advanced Technology Services Contract SAIC 06 Dec 2006 -- Science Applications International Corporation (NYSE: SAI) announced today it won a contract from J63 Enterprise Command and Control Advanced Technology Services (EC2ATS) to provide a full range of enterprise services and solutions to the Space and Naval Warfare (SPAWAR) Systems Center, Charleston (SSCC), S.C. Work will be performed in Charleston and the Tidewater, Va., and Washington, D.C., metro areas.
- EADS and its partners are chosen to supply Netherlands' integrated air defence system EADS 06 Dec 2006 -- Today the Dutch Ministry of Defence awarded EADS the contract to supply technical systems for battle management command, control, communication, computers & information (BMC4I) part of the Netherlands Future Ground Based Air Defence (FGBAD NL).
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICES OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESWOMAN FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 06 Dec 2006
- U.N. Security Council Authorizes Regional Force for Somalia Washington File 06 Dec 2006 -- The Security Council voted unanimously December 6 to back a regional peacekeeping force for Somalia.
- SOMALIA: Fears of humanitarian crisis as war talk escalates IRIN 06 Dec 2006 -- The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) has expressed concern over reports of imminent war in Somalia, as increased insecurity could worsen the humanitarian crisis in the war-scarred country.
- Security Council approves African protection force in Somalia UN News Centre 06 Dec 2006 -- The Security Council today authorized the establishment of an African protection and training mission in Somalia to help defend the troubled country's Transitional Federal Institutions (TFIs).
- Welcoming Gaza ceasefire, Security Council urges end to all terrorism and violence UN News Centre 06 Dec 2006 -- Welcoming the recent ceasefire in Gaza, members of the United Nations Security Council today called for an end to all aspects of violence and terrorism throughout the region, the President of the 15-member body said.
- Shimon Peres: Palestinian Unity Government a Facade VOA 06 Dec 2006 -- A senior Israeli politician says he does not believe Palestinian efforts to form a unity government would help resolve the Israeli-Palestinian dispute
- ISRAEL-OPT: Vital Gaza food conduit to open, Israel says IRIN 06 Dec 2006 -- An important commercial crossing from Israel into the Gaza Strip could be re-opened next week, Israeli officials told IRIN, allowing vital food supplies into Gaza.
- Amid mounting concern in North Darfur, UN temporarily relocates non-essential staff UN News Centre 06 Dec 2006 -- The United Nations and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) have temporarily relocated their non-essential staff from the North Darfur provincial capital of El Fasher amid heightened security concerns because of recent clashes between militia groups and other armed movements.
- Darfur Peace Agreement in Danger VOA 06 Dec 2006 -- The United Nations and African Union are on high alert in El Fasher, the capital city of northern Darfur
- DRC-UGANDA: Congo fighting forces thousands across eastern border IRIN 06 Dec 2006 -- At least 12,000 people from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) have entered neighbouring Uganda after fleeing fighting in the volatile eastern province of North Kivu, Ugandan officials said on Wednesday.
- Indian political party rejects Musharraf formula on Kashmir IRNA 06 Dec 2006 -- Rejecting outright the four-point solution mooted by Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf on Kashmir, the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) Jammu Unit and Kashmiri Pandit Organizations on Wednesday urged the Center not to consider it.
- Fiji's Military Declares State of Emergency Following Coup VOA 06 Dec 2006 -- Fiji's armed forces are tightening their grip on power a day after ousting the elected government
- Arabsat's BADR-4 payload provided by Alcatel Alenia Space ready for commercial services Thales 06 Dec 2006 -- The BADR-4 payload, provided by Alcatel Alenia Space, successfully completed the In-Orbit Acceptance Review (IOAR) and is ready for operational services. BADR-4 is the second of the Arab Satellite Communications Organization's (Arabsat) fourth generation satellites, built by the prime contractor Astrium Satellites. The BADR-4 satellite has been boosted into orbit on Nov. 8th from the Baikonur space center in Kazakhstan by a Proton/Breeze-M launcher provided by International Launch Service (ILS).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|