20 August 2006 Military News
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Aug. 19 AFPN 20 Aug 2006 -- In Afghanistan Aug. 18, Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt IIs provided close-air support for coalition troops taking small arms fire from Taliban extremists in the vicinity of Musah Qal'eh.
- Iraqi Forces Capture Three Death Squad Leaders; Kidnap Victims Rescued AFPS 20 Aug 2006 -- Iraqi army forces captured three death squad leaders during raids in Baghdad Aug. 18. The captured leaders allegedly participated in a massacre of Iraqi families last month, U.S. military officials reported.
- More Sectarian Violence in Iraq VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Gunmen have killed some 20 Iraqis at a large Shiite Muslim religious procession in Baghdad
- U.S. Forces Still Taking Fight to Taliban in Afghanistan, Military Spokesman Says AFPS 20 Aug 2006 -- Two engagements with Taliban extremists in Afghanistan yesterday demonstrate that the U.S. continues to take the fight to the enemy, a U.S. military spokesman said today.
- Scores of Taleban Reported Killed in Battle With NATO Forces in Afghanistan VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Afghan and NATO forces say they have killed scores of suspected Taleban insurgents in Southern Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Makin Island Christened Navy NewsStand 20 Aug 2006 -- The U.S. Navy christened the amphibious assault ship Makin Island (LHD 8) in a ceremony Aug. 19 at Northrop Grumman Ship Systems in Pascagoula, Miss.
- Iran Test-Fires Short-Range Missiles as Part of Military Exercises VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Iranian state media say Iran's army has test-fired several short-range missiles as part of a major military exercise that began Saturday.
- Surface-to-surface missiles tested in wargames IRNA 20 Aug 2006 -- The Iranian armed forces tested surface-to-surface missiles on the second stage of the massive wargames code-named `Blow of Zolfaqar' along border areas of this southeastern province Sunday morning.
- Tehran Tests Short-Range Missiles RFE/RL 20 Aug 2006 -- Iran today said it test-fired new surface-to-surface short-range missiles, following the start of large-scale military exercises throughout the country to introduce a new defensive doctrine.
- Arab League Ministers Meet to Discuss Aid to Lebanon VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Arab League foreign ministers met here Sunday to discuss funding for the reconstruction of Lebanon
- Lebanon Says Hezbollah Committed to Cease-fire VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Lebanon's defense minister said Sunday he is certain Hezbollah will not violate a U.N.-brokered ceasefire with Israel, and has warned of harsh consequences for any violator in Lebanon.
- Olmert: No Peacekeepers From Countries Without Diplomatic Ties With Israel VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert says countries without diplomatic relations with Israel should not participate in the U.N. peacekeeping force for Lebanon.
- Prominent US Senator Calls for Resolution of Shebaa Farms Dispute VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- A prominent member of the United States Senate says resolving the Shebaa Farms dispute is key to efforts to bring peace to Lebanon.
- Hezbollah Handing Out Cash to Rebuild Lebanese Homes VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- As soon as the U.N. brokered cease-fire went into effect in Lebanon last Monday, Hezbollah's social welfare machine shifted into high gear
- Annan: Israeli Commando Raid Violates Ceasefire VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan says he is "deeply concerned" about an Israeli commando raid in eastern Lebanon Saturday, calling it a violation of a U.N.-backed ceasefire.
- Lebanon Warns Militants Against Firing Rockets at Israel VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Lebanon's defense minister says any group that breaks the ceasefire with Israel will be considered a traitor and will be dealt with decisively.
- Arab Foreign Ministers Discuss Lebanon Aid VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Arab foreign ministers met Sunday in Egypt to plan for the reconstruction of Lebanon following Israel's bombing of the country.
- Israeli Military Chief: Israel Scored Victory Against Hezbollah VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Israel's military chief says the month-long conflict with Hezbollah ended with an Israeli victory against the militant group, but not a knockout.
- Lebanese gov't warns to stop deployment in south if Israel breaches ceasefire IRNA 20 Aug 2006 -- With the fragile ceasefire in force between Lebanon and Israel, Lebanese government threatened to stop deployment in the south of the country if Israel makes similar breach of ceasefire.
- Israeli Report Says Hizballah Used Russian Weapons RFE/RL 20 Aug 2006 -- The daily Israeli newspaper "Maariv" says Israel has provided Moscow with documents and pictures that prove Hizballah used Russian-made weapons during the recent fighting in Lebanon.
- About 200 police, troops killed in Dagestan in four years RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2006 -- About 200 police and interior troops have been killed in the past four years in the Republic of Dagestan in Russia's North Caucasus, the Russian interior minister said Sunday.
- Ethiopian Troops Seen Entering Somalia VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Ethiopian troops are reported to have entered Somalia in a move expected to raise tensions between Islamic militiamen who control much of the country and the interim Somali government.
- Sri Lankan Forces, Tamil Tigers Battle in North VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- The Sri Lankan military reports new exchanges of artillery and mortar fire with Tamil Tiger rebels trying to break through government lines to capture Jaffna town and the northern Jaffna peninsula.
- Russia denies aircraft flight over Georgian territory RIA Novosti 20 Aug 2006 -- Russia's Defense Ministry denied Sunday Georgia's reports that Russian aircraft had allegedly violated its air border.
- Congo Election Ends in Run-off VOA 20 Aug 2006 -- Democratic Republic of Congo's President Joseph Kabila and challenger Jean-Pierre Bemba face a second round run-off after neither won a majority in Congo's July presidential election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|