23 December 2005 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 23 Dec 2005 [PDF]
- TWO TASK FORCE BAGHDAD SOLDIERS KILLED
- Iraq Force Adjustments Announced 23 Dec 2005 -- The Department of Defense announced today a decision to not deploy portions of the 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division, based atFort Riley, Kansas to Iraq, and to modify the deployment orders of the 2nd Brigade, 1st Armored Division, based in Baumholder, Germany, to remain in Kuwait as a call-forward force.
- CENTAF releases daily airpower summary AFPN 23 Dec 2005 -- Coalition aircraft flew 34 close-air-support missions Dec. 22 for Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- Two U.S. Soldiers Killed; Baghdad Rocket Factory Discovered AFPS 23 Dec 2005 -- Two Task Force Baghdad soldiers were killed when their vehicle struck an improvised explosive device in Baghdad today, military officials reported.
- Iraqi Soldiers Discover Weapons Caches, Detain Terror Suspects AFPS 23 Dec 2005 -- Iraqi army troops discovered several weapons caches and took suspected terrorists into custody Dec. 22 as they continue to take on more responsibility for their nation's security, military officials reported today.
- Rocket launcher factory found; bomb hoax unveiled Army News 23 Dec 2005 -- An Iraqi citizen provided a tip to Soldiers of the 7th Cavalry about a home in east Baghdad Dec. 22 that was being used as a factory to make improvised rocket-launchers.
- Transcript: Secretary Rumsfeld Fallujah Townhall Meeting 23 Dec 2005 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld
- Mosul media emir and administrator captured MNF-I 23 Dec 2005 -- An Ansar al-Sunna of Mosul Media Emir and Administrator were captured by Coalition Forces during raids on suspected terrorist safe houses near Mosul.
- Three terrorists caught emplacing bomb MNF-I 23 Dec 2005 -- Three terrorists were captured as they were caught emplacing a hoax roadside bomb in east Baghdad Dec. 21.
- Iraqi citizen helps Coalition Forces MNF-I 23 Dec 2005 -- A local national identified a home in east Baghdad that was being used as a factory to make improvised rocket-launchers.
- Iraqi Insurgents Attack Checkpoint RFE/RL 23 Dec 2005 -- Insurgents in Iraq attacked an army checkpoint early this morning killing at least 10 soldiers and wounding 20.
- Ten killed in terrorist attack on mosque MNF-I 23 Dec 2005 -- Ten Iraqis, including an Iraqi policeman, were killed and four others wounded Dec. 23 in Balad Ruz in a suicide bombing.
- Red Horse team maintains smooth operations in, out of Kandahar AFPN 23 Dec 2005 -- A team of about 20 Red Horse civil engineers from Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., are doing their part to keep flights coming in and out of here in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
- U.S. CENTAF PAKISTAN RELIEF SUMMARY CENTCOM 23 Dec 2005 -- The U.S. Air Force continued to support Pakistan-led earthquake recovery operations by airlifting much-needed supplies into the devastated region December 16-23.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Pasadena Returns from Western Pacific Deployment Navy NewsStand 23 Dec 2005 -- Just in time for the holidays, the nuclear-powered attack submarine USS Pasadena (SSN 752) returned to its homeport of Pearl Harbor Dec. 22, following a six-month deployment in the U.S. 7th Fleet area of operations.
- DoD Releases Surveys on the Reserve Components and Military Service Academies 23 Dec 2005 -- The Department of Defense today released the results of two reports on sexual harassment and sexual assault in the military: the 2004 survey of the reserve components; and the Academic Program Year (APY) 2005 assessment at the three military service academies.
- U.S. Coast Guard Commissions New Rescue 21 System for Locating and Saving Distressed Boaters General Dynamics 23 Dec 2005 -- Rescue 21 improves the Coast Guard’s ability to locate and assist distressed boaters by integrating digital technology for better direction finding capability, which improves response time and reliability.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICES OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 23 Dec 2005
- Israel Threatens Gaza Siege to Halt Rocket Attacks VOA 23 Dec 2005 -- Israel is threatening to step up military operations in the Gaza Strip in response to Palestinian rocket attacks
- NEPAL: UN welcomes Maoist statement on aid and development IRIN 23 Dec 2005 -- The United Nations office in Nepal has welcomed a statement made by Maoist rebels on Thursday that they would cooperate with the UN and bilateral donor agencies and adhere to the their Basic Operating Guidelines (BOGs) for aid and development work.
- ERITREA-ETHIOPIA: Border tense despite troop pullouts, says UN IRIN 23 Dec 2005 -- The disputed frontier between Ethiopia and Eritrea remains militarily "tense and potentially volatile" despite a pull back of some troops, the United Nations said on Friday.
- US Denies Removal of Bolivian Missiles Was Secret VOA 23 Dec 2005 -- The United States denied Thursday that it removed anti-aircraft missiles from Bolivia without the knowledge of top officials in La Paz.
- Report: Tsunami Aid Effort in Sri Lanka Went Well, Aid Distribution Unequal VOA 23 Dec 2005 -- The Sri Lankan government is set to release a major report on the response to last year's Indian Ocean tsunami.
- Successful launch of the MSG2 weather satellite, built by Alcatel Alenia Space Thales 22 Dec 2005 -- Alcatel Alenia Space applauds the successful launch of the Meteosat Second Generation (MSG2) satellite designed to provide operational weather observations and environmental monitoring throughout Europe. The satellite has been successfully launched yesterday by an Ariane 5 rocket from the Guiana Space Center in Kourou, French Guiana. Built by Alcatel Alenia Space as prime contractor, MSG2 is the second new generation satellite in a series of four to be boosted into geostationary orbit.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|