26 November 2005 Military News
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- At Least 9 Dead in 2 Iraqi Car Bombings VOA 26 Nov 2005 -- Iraqi parliamentary elections are less than three weeks away, and insurgents intent on disrupting them have launched more car bomb attacks Saturday, killing at least nine people.
- Joint U.S., Iraqi patrol leads to large weapons cache MNF-I 26 Nov 2005 -- U.S. Soldiers and Iraqi Security Forces found a large weapons cache while conducting a joint patrol in the North Babil district on the afternoon of Nov. 24.
- Iraqi, U.S. forces nab terrorists, stop bomb attacks MNF-I 26 Nov 2005 -- Iraqi Army and Task Force Baghdad Soldiers continued to pursue terrorists and deny them opportunities for attacks during operations in various districts of the capitol city Nov. 21-23.
- Operation Tigers kicked off in Ramadi MNF-I 26 Nov 2005 -- Approximately 550 Iraqi Army soldiers and U.S. Soldiers from the 2nd Brigade Combat Team attached to the 2nd Marine Division, kicked off Operation Tigers (Nimur) this morning in the Ma'Laab District of eastern Ramadi.
- MND CS completes road in al Hillah MNF-I 26 Nov 2005 -- Multinational Division Central-South Soldiers completed a new road in al Hillah.
- Gatekeeper, courier, confidant of al-Zarqawi dead, says relative MNF-I 26 Nov 2005 -- A close family member as well as Coalition sources claimed earlier this week that a gatekeeper and confidant of Abu Mu'sab al-Zarqawi, Bilal Mahmud Awad Shebah, aka Abu Ubaydah, who reportedly met weekly with the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, is dead.
- Soldier Dies in Roadside Bomb Explosion AFPS 27 Nov 2005 -- A soldier assigned to the 2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward), was killed in an improvised explosive device attack while conducting combat operations against the enemy in Hit, Iraq, Nov. 25, military officials reported today.
- COALITION RELEASES EXECUTIVE SUMMARY OF INVESTIGATION INTO BURNING OF TALIBAN BODIES CENTCOM 26 Nov 2005 -- Coalition officials have released an executive summary today of the investigation into U.S. Soldiers burning the bodies of two dead Taliban fighters.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Int'l confab in Berlin to focus on Europe's future military role IRNA 26 Nov 2005 -- The 4th Congress on European Defense will open on Monday in Berlin, focusing on the future military role of Europe.
- U.S. Military Denies Secret Kosovo Detention Center RFE/RL 26 Nov 2005 -- The U.S. military in Kosovo said today that it does not have a secret detention facility at its military base in Kosovo.
- At UN-chaired meeting, Ethiopia and Eritrea trade blame for rising tensions UN News Centre 26 Nov 2005 -- At a United Nations-chaired meeting in Nairobi, Kenya, representatives of Ethiopia and Eritrea traded blame for the rising tensions along their shared border but pledged not to escalate them further, the UN Mission in the two Horn of Africa countries (UNMEE) announced today.
- Palestinians Open Border Between Gaza and Egypt VOA 26 Nov 2005 -- A historic day in the Middle East, as the Palestinian Authority opens the border between the Gaza Strip and Egypt.
- Violence Flares Up Again in Gaza Strip VOA 26 Nov 2005 -- Israel has launched a military strike in the Gaza Strip in response to a rocket attack on an Israeli town by Palestinian militants.
- Senegal to Hand Fate of Ex-Chadian Leader to African Union VOA 26 Nov 2005 -- Former Chadian President Hissene Habre is under house arrest in Senegal, a day after a court there decided it could not rule on a Belgian request for his extradition.
- Egyptian Vote Marred by Intimidation, Arrests VOA 26 Nov 2005 -- Egypt's opposition Muslim Brotherhood has accused the ruling National Democratic Party of obstructing parliamentary elections, as hundreds of the Islamist group's members are arrested.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|