02 October 2005 Military News
- U.S. Doubts al Qaeda Kidnapping Claim AFPS 02 Oct 2005 -- A full accountability check is under way today following what is believed to be a false al Qaeda claim of having kidnapped two U.S. Marines in western Iraq, Multinational Force Iraq officials said today.
- One U.S. Soldier, One Afghan Soldier Die Fighting Enemy AFPS 02 Oct 2005 -- Enemy forces killed an American soldier and an Afghan National Army soldier during fighting north of Kandahar, Afghanistan, Sept. 30, Combined Forces Command Afghanistan officials said today.
- Iraqi contractors take home $22 million in cash MNF-I 02 Oct 2005 -- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Gulf Region Southern District paid out more than $22,000,000 in cash Sept. 29 to Iraqi contractors contributing to a number of projects in nine southern provinces of the country.
- Iraqi, U.S. Forces seize terrorist weapons, bombs MNF-I 02 Oct 2005 -- Iraqi Army and Task Force Baghdad Soldiers found five weapons caches hidden in north Baghdad Sept. 30.
- Al-Qaeda Claims 'Kidnapping' Of U.S. Marines RFE/RL 02 Oct 2005 -- A statement posted on a website used by Al-Qaeda claims the group has kidnapped two U.S. Marines in western Iraq.
- Iraq Death Toll Up Sharply In September RFE/RL 02 Oct 2005 -- Statistics issued by the Iraqi government indicate the number of Iraqis killed in attacks in September rose to 702 from 526 in August. Most of those killed were civilians.
- US Forces Press Offensive in Western Iraq VOA 02 Oct 2005 -- U.S. troops have killed eight insurgents in western Iraq, as military officials dispute claims that militants have kidnapped two U.S. Marines.
- Operation Iron Fist: Day 2 Update MNF-I 02 Oct 2005 -- Operation Kabda Bil Hadid (Iron Fist) continued today with a force of approximately 1,000 Marines, Soldiers and Sailors from Regimental Combat Team-2 engaging numerous terrorists in and around Sa'dah, approximately 12 kilometers east of the Syrian border.
- Marines doubt Al Qaeda claims; full accountability check in progress MNF-I 02 Oct 2005 -- There are no indications that Al Qaeda claims of having kidnapped two Marines in western Iraq are true.
- Task Force Liberty Soldiers seize cache near Balad MNF-I 02 Oct 2005 -- Task Force Liberty Soldiers discovered and seized a cache of munitions buried in a field near Balad at about 11 a.m. Oct 2.
- Afghan Vote Monitor Vows 'Tough Action' RFE/RL 02 Oct 2005 -- A top electoral official in Afghanistan said today some 4 percent of ballot boxes from last month's elections had been quarantined due to suspected voter fraud.
- Hundreds Protest Killing of Candidate in Afghanistan VOA 02 Oct 2005 -- Hundreds of Afghans have marched through the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif to protest the killing of a candidate in the country's recent legislative elections.
- British Defense Official Downplays NATO's Differences in Afghanistan VOA 02 Oct 2005 -- Britain's top defense official is in Afghanistan to discuss the role of NATO troops in the country, after some member nations said they want NATO forces to be limited to peacekeeping missions.
Defense Policy / Programs
- ATG's Javelin Prototype Takes Flight Israel Aerospace Industries 02 Oct 2005 -- Aviation Technology Group, Inc. (ATG) announced the Javelin prototype has successfully completed its maiden flight at Centennial Airport in Englewood, Colorado.
- RAFAEL Introduces Advanced Armor for US Armored Trucks Rafael 02 Oct 2005 -- RAFAEL Armament Development Authority has released two new light armored vehicles, together with partners FPI and International, which are intended for the US Army and NATO Forces.
- Palestinian Police and Hamas Gunmen Clash in Gaza, 3 Dead VOA 02 Oct 2005 -- Palestinian police have fought a series of gun battles with militants in Gaza City, killing a police officer and two civilians, and wounding 50 others.
- Israel Suspends Offensive Against Palestinian Militants VOA 02 Oct 2005 -- Israel has suspended a week-long military offensive in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|