19 September 2005 Military News
- Kirkuk unit controls Iraqi sky AFPN 19 Sep 2005 -- The 727th Expeditionary Air Control Squadron Detachment 1 here provides instantaneous and continuous information superiority by providing commanders and pilots with a real-time view of northern Iraq's airspace.
- Raids Disrupt Terrorists; Citizen Leads Troops to Caches AFPS 19 Sep 2005 -- Coalition forces raided two terrorist safe houses in Mosul, Iraq, today, killing two terrorists and detaining three others, military officials reported.
- U.S. Forces seize weapons, capture terror suspects MNF-I 19 Sep 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers uncovered two weapons caches and arrested two terror suspects Sept. 17, denying terrorists an opportunity to conduct attacks against Coalition Forces and innocent Iraqi civilians.
- Coalition raids net 10 suspected terrorists MNF-I 19 Sep 2005 -- Coalition Forces captured 10 terror suspects in three separate combat operations conducted in and around the capitol city.
- Soldiers foil ambush, find weapons cache in al-Rashid MNF-I 19 Sep 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers thwarted a potential ambush and found a weapons cache after investigating suspicious vehicles on a southwest Baghdad road Sept. 16.
- Iraqi citizen leads Coalition Forces personnel to 4 cache sites MNF-I 19 Sep 2005 -- An Iraqi citizen led Coalition Forces to four cache weapons sites southwest of Kirkuk around 6:15 p.m. Sept. 18.
- Early morning raids disrupt terrorist activities MNF-I 19 Sep 2005 -- Coalition forces raided two terrorist safe houses in Mosul, killing two terrorists and detaining three others Sept. 19 at 1:51 a.m.
- Officials Hail Afghanistan Elections, Despite Relatively Low Turnout VOA 19 Sep 2005 -- Although results will not be released for more than a month, organizers of Afghanistan's landmark parliamentary elections are calling Sunday's vote a remarkable success.
- Afghans Enjoy Successful Election Day AFPS 19 Sep 2005 -- The people of Afghanistan successfully voted in new leaders Sept. 18.
- Afghans Cast Ballots In Historic Election RFE/RL 19 Sep 2005 -- Millions of Afghan men and women traveled to polling stations across the country to vote in Afghanistan's historic parliamentary elections.
- International Community Hails Afghan Elections RFE/RL 19 Sep 2005 -- The international community has praised yesterday's parliamentary elections in Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan: Officials Praise Elections Despite Lower-Than-Expected Turnout RFE/RL 19 Sep 2005 -- Officials in Afghanistan are praising yesterday's parliamentary vote as a historic step in their transition to democracy -- even though voter turnout appears to have been much lower than it was during the presidential election in October 2004.
- Bush, Rice Congratulate Afghanistan on Successful Elections Washington File 19 Sep 2005 -- President Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice send their congratulations to the government and people of Afghanistan for their successful parliamentary elections September 18.
- Pakistan formally informs Afghanistan of border fencing IRNA 19 Sep 2005 -- Pakistan said on Monday that it has formally taken up with Afghanistan the proposal for fencing of Pak-Afghan border.
- Musharraf discusses Afghan border fencing, other issues with US military IRNA 19 Sep 2005 -- President of Pakistan General Pervez Musharraf will meet top-brass of the United States military to discuss the proposal of fencing the Pak-Afghan border and other issues in a meeting slated for Monday.
- Paratroopers Provide Assistance at New Orleans Mission AFPS 19 Sep 2005 -- The man in charge of a Baptist-run mission set in an impoverished neighborhood here said Sept. 18 that he's glad the Army arrived to help him meet the needs of Hurricane Katrina victims.
- Paratroopers Provide Assistance at New Orleans Mission AFPS 19 Sep 2005 -- Two Army Humvees chugged their way into another ravaged section of Algiers, an old New Orleans neighborhood set just across the Mississippi River from the French Quarter.
- USNS Red Cloud Transports Generators, Crane for Hurricane Recovery Navy NewsStand 19 Sep 2005 -- Military Sealift Command (MSC) ship USNS Red Cloud (T-AKR 313) is carrying generators and a crane to the U.S. Gulf Coast region to support Hurricane Katrina recovery efforts.
- Seabees Help Build Tent City at NAS JRB New Orleans Navy NewsStand 19 Sep 2005 -- Shortly after arriving at Naval Air Station (NAS) Joint Reserve Base (JRB) New Orleans in September, a small detachment of Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 40 began erecting "Tent City"
Defense Policy / Programs
- Five nations jump into Bright Star exercise Army News 19 Sep 2005 -- After many hours of training and preparation, five nations joined together Sept. 15 to perform a coalition airborne operation over the Egyptian desert as part of Bright Star, which continues through early October.
- Army continues new Humvee safety upgrades Army News 19 Sep 2005 -- The Army is responding to the War Fighter's request for new equipment to enhance combat operations and increase safety, by installing five upgrades to Humvees at forward repair sites in Southwest Asia.
- White House Daily Briefing, September 19 Washington File 19 Sep 2005 -- Update on Hurricane Katrina, administration policies, Carter-Baker Commission
- State Department Briefing, September 19 Washington File 19 Sep 2005 -- North Korea, Turkey, Taiwan, Secretary's phone conversation, Venezuela, Germany, Iran, Peru
- BAE SYSTEMS Team To Develop Traction Drive Subsystems For Future Combat Systems Manned Ground Vehicles BAE Systems 19 Sep 2005 -- A BAE Systems-led team has been selected by the Future Combat Systems (FCS) One Team to develop the common Traction Drive Subsystem (TDS) for FCS Manned Ground Vehicles (MGVs).
- Boeing and Bell Helicopter Deliver First Production CV-22 Osprey Boeing 19 Sep 2005 -- The U.S. Air Force has taken delivery of the first production CV-22 Osprey at the Bell Helicopter production facility in Amarillo, Texas.
- Lockheed Martin Receives $50 Million Contract for Laser-Guided Bomb Kits Lockheed Martin 19 Sep 2005 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] has received a contract valued at approximately $50 million to deliver laser-guided bomb (LGB) kits to the U.S. Air Force next year. The contract, for manufacture and delivery of GBU-12 kits, represents more than half of the U.S. Air Force's requirements for the current fiscal year.
- Lockheed Martin Conducts Successful Compact Kinetic Energy Missile Test at Holloman Air Force Base Lockheed Martin 19 Sep 2005 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE:LMT] has successfully conducted a sled test of its Compact Kinetic Energy Missile (CKEM) recently at the High Speed Test Track at Holloman Air Force Base, NM. The test evaluated penetration data and the lethality mechanism of the CKEM missiles’ design. Test objectives were achieved.
- Raytheon Technical Services Company, M7 Aerospace Agree to Team for Future Cargo Aircraft Maintenance Operations Raytheon 19 Sep 2005 -- Raytheon Technical Services Company (RTSC) LLC, a subsidiary of Raytheon Company, has agreed in principle to team with M7 Aerospace to offer worldwide maintenance operations for the U.S. Army's Future Cargo Aircraft (FCA) program. M7 Aerospace currently provides contractor logistics support to the U.S. Army's fleet of C-23 Sherpa aircraft.
- Sikorsky Aircraft Partnership with U.S.Army and Corpus Christi Army Depot reaches delivery milestone Sikorsky 19 Sep 2005 -- Sikorsky Aircraft is pleased to announce the delivery of the 26th BLACK HAWK Recap aircraft which was delivered to the Army two weeks ahead of schedule on August 26, 2005. The Recap or A to A program, is recapitalization of the UH-60A model aircraft to a like new A model condition.
- Sikorsky Awarded Risk Reduction Funds for Heavy Lift Replacement Program Sikorsky 19 Sep 2005 -- The U.S. Navy has awarded Sikorsky Aircraft a $43 million contract to continue risk reduction work in support of the U.S. Marine Corps Heavy Lift Replacement (HLR) program.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICES OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 19 Sep 2005
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY SECRETARY-GENERAL’S SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE FOR BURUNDI United Nations 19 Sep 2005
- GREAT LAKES: Ugandan LRA rebels flee Sudan for Congo IRIN 19 Sep 2005 -- Sixty fighters in the rebel Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) have left their areas of operation in northern Uganda and southern Sudan and crossed into northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Ugandan army spokesman Lt Col Shaban Bantariza said on Monday.
- TRANSCRIPT OF PRESS CONFERENCE ON LEBANON, BY SECRETARY-GENERAL KOFI ANNAN, HIGH-LEVEL GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AT UNITED NATIONS HEADQUARTERS, 19 SEPTEMBER 2005 United Nations 19 Sep 2005
- Rice Calls on Syria to End Meddling in Lebanon VOA 19 Sep 2005 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Monday renewed the U.S. call on Syria to end political interference in Lebanon and halt the traffic of insurgents across its border into Iraq.
- United States Calls for Syria's Cooperation in Hariri Probe Washington File 19 Sep 2005 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice reiterated the U.S. call for Syria to cooperate with the international investigation into the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafiq al-Hariri.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|