16 July 2005 Military News
- Soldiers charged with assault on suspected insurgents MNF-I 16 Jul 2005 -- Eleven Task Force Baghdad Soldiers were charged with violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice July 13 in Baghdad .
- Task Force Liberty Soldiers engage terrorists, civilian killed in crossfire MNF-I 16 Jul 2005 -- An Iraqi civilian was killed by crossfire between terrorists and Coalition Forces in Samarra about 12:00 p.m. July 15.
- Traffic control point nets mortar system MNF-I 16 Jul 2005 -- Task Force Liberty and Iraqi army Soldiers discovered a mortar system in a vehicle during a joint operation near Balad at about 5:00 p.m. July 15
- At Least 10 Killed In Attacks In Iraq RFE/RL 16 Jul 2005 -- Suicide bombers killed at least seven Iraqi police officers today, while three British soldiers died in a separate attack.
- Coalition Forces Stymie, Respond to Ongoing Terrorist Attacks in Iraq AFPS 16 Jul 2005 -- Task Force Liberty and Iraqi army soldiers stopped a potential terrorist attack when they confiscated a mortar system in a vehicle during a joint operation near Balad, Iraq, on July 15 at about 5:00 p.m.
- Detainee Releases 'Strengthening Peace'; Afghan Air Control Center Opens AFPS 16 Jul 2005 -- Twenty more detainees were released from coalition detention facilities today as part of the Afghan government's "Takhim-e-Solh" or "Strengthening Peace" program.
- Funerals Held In Pakistan For Suspected Militants RFE/RL 16 Jul 2005 -- Thousands of Pakistani tribesmen turned out for the funerals of three of 24 suspected militants killed inside Pakistan by U.S. forces on 14 July.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Hurricane Dennis Visits NAS Whiting Field Navy NewsStand 16 Jul 2005 -- The presence of Hurricane Dennis resulted in a brief evacuation and delay in training for Naval Air Station Whiting Field (NASWF) July 9-11.
- Mobile Security Squadron 6 Arms up for Safety Stand Down Navy NewsStand 17 Jul 2005 -- Members of Mobile Security Squadron 6 attended a weapons training safety stand-down July 13 at Norfolk Naval Shipyard to ensure that each Sailor is competent with every weapon they handle.
- U.S. Contribution to Darfur Airlift Operation Begins AFPS 16 Jul 2005 -- U.S. European Command began the deployment of airmen and equipment to Kigali, Rwanda, July 14 to provide logistical and airlift support of Rwandan forces as part of the African Union's expanded mission in the war-torn Darfur region of Sudan.
- Eight Killed In Russian Military Helicopter Crash In Chechnya RFE/RL 16 Jul 2005 -- Russia's Defense Ministry now says that eight people were killed and one seriously injured in a helicopter crash in Chechnya today.
- Tens-of-Thousands Turn Out To Support Embattled Philippine President VOA 16 Jul 2005 -- Tens-of-thousands of people gathered in a Manila park Saturday to show support for Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, who is fighting to hold on to her presidency, after allegations she cheated in the 2004 elections
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|