19 June 2005 Military News
- Suicide Bomber in Crowded Baghdad Restaurant VOA 19 Jun 2005 -- A suicide-bomber wearing a vest packed with explosives, blew himself up at a Baghdad restaurant popular with Iraqi police and army personnel, killing at least 16 people. The attack comes as the U.S. military continues with two major offensives near the Syrian border intended to stop the flow of foreign fighters into Iraq
- Georgia Guard Soldiers ready for Iraq mission MNF-I 19 Jun 2005 -- Soldiers of 48th Brigade Combat Team, Georgia Army National Guard, are settling into their base camps and preparing for military operations as part of Task Force Baghdad.
- Operation Spear update MNF-I 19 Jun 2005 -- Coalition and Iraqi Forces from Regimental Combat Team 2, 2nd Marine Division continue conducting Operation Spear (Rohme) in and around the city of Karabilah today.
- Tips lead Task Force Liberty Soldiers to caches near Ad Dwar MNF-I 19 Jun 2005 -- Task Force Liberty Soldiers followed a civilian's tips on two consecutive days to seize a large quantity of materials used for making improvised explosive devices near Ad Dwar in Salah Ad Din Province.
- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers find weapons cache MNF-I 19 Jun 2005 -- Soldiers from Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 108th Armor, 48th Brigade Combat Team discovered a large cache of weapons at 7 a.m. June 17 while conducting a security patrol in south Baghdad .
- Iraqi, Coalition Forces capture terrorists, foil bombings MNF-I 19 Jun 2005 -- Iraqi Soldiers from the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 6th Iraqi Army Division and Task Force Baghdad Soldiers conducted a series of combat operations June 18 to capture targeted terrorists and seize weapons and contraband.
- Operation Spear continues in Karabilah MNF-I 19 Jun 2005 -- For a third day, Iraqi Security Forces and Marines, Sailors and Soldiers from Regimental Combat Team-2, 2nd Marine Division, continue Operation Spear in and around the city of Karabilah in Western Al Anbar province.
- Taleban Claims to Have Killed Provincial Police Chief in Afghanistan VOA 19 Jun 2005 -- Taleban insurgents in southern Afghanistan say they have executed a provincial police chief and are holding 30 local officials hostage.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Israeli and Palestinian Leaders Agree to Coordinate Gaza Pullout VOA 19 Jun 2005 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has concluded a two-day peace mission to Jerusalem and the West Bank. Israel's planned pullout from the Gaza Strip topped the agenda
- U.S. Will Support Israel Through Gaza Disengagement, Rice Says Washington File 19 Jun 2005 -- The United States will support Israel as it implements plans for disengagement from Gaza and parts of the West Bank, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says.
- Rice Hails Agreement on Disengagement from Gaza Washington File 19 Jun 2005 -- "All agree that Israel's plan to disengage from Gaza and parts of the northern West Bank can be an important step to progress on the road map toward realizing the vision of two democratic states, Israel and Palestine, living side by side in peace and security," said Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
- Gaza Disengagement Is "Historic Opportunity" for Israeli People Washington File 19 Jun 2005 -- Israel's planned disengagement from Gaza and parts of the West Bank in August will be a historic opportunity for the Israeli people, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says.
- Fourth and Final Round of Lebanese Elections Underway in the North VOA 19 Jun 2005 -- Voters are going to the polls in northern Lebanon where the fourth and final round of parliamentary elections is underway. The elections, which have been taking place in separate regions over the past four weeks, are the first to take place in decades without Syrian domination.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|