06 February 2005 Military News
- Marine killed in Babil Province
- Aviation brigade relinquishes authority MNF-I/MNC-I 06 Feb 2005 -- The 42nd Infantry Division officially took over the aircraft support mission for the Multi-National Division North Central from the 1st Infantry Division during a Feb. 2 ceremony, at Forward Operation Base Speicher.
- ISF captures three suspected of attacks MNF-I/MNC-I 06 Feb 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces detained three people during an operation in northern Iraq
- Iraqi Security Forces thwart kidnapping MNF-I/MNC-I 06 Feb 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces detained two people suspected of kidnapping the brother of the Mosul chief of police in northern Iraq Feb. 5.
- Multi-National Forces capture nine suspected criminals MNF-I/MNC-I 06 Feb 2005 -- National Force Soldiers from the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), detained nine people in northern Iraq Feb. 5.
- ISF out front in matters of security MNF-I/MNC-I 06 Feb 2005 -- Iraqi Regular Army Soldiers detained five people in northern Iraq Feb. 5.
- Multi-National Forces detain 22 MNF-I/MNC-I 06 Feb 2005 -- Multi-National Force Soldiers from the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team,) detained 22 people in northern Iraq Feb. 5.
- 3rd MAW provides security/transport during elections USMC News 06 Feb 2005 -- The 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing played a vital, yet largely unseen role in support of the recent Iraqi elections.
Defense Policy / Programs
- RAFAEL’S SPYDER Catches Its Prey Rafael 06 Feb 2005 -- RAFAEL and IAI achieved another milestone in the SPYDER (Surface-to-Air PYthon & DERby Air Defence System) integration venture. SPYDER successfully fired the Python 5 and Derby missiles over RAFAEL’s test range, Shdema in Israel and effectively scored two direct hardbody kills.
- RICE / MIDEAST O'NITER VOA 06 Feb 2005 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice meets the new Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas today (Monday) in the West Bank after urging Israeli leaders to take the hard decisions needed to sustain recent momentum toward peace. She says fundamental changes are under way after last month's Palestinian elections.
- RICE / MIDDLE EAST VOA 06 Feb 2005 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice flies to the Middle East later today (Sunday) for her first meetings in the region with Israeli and Palestinian leaders. She says she hopes to lend support to recent progress the parties have made toward restoring a peace process.
- MIDEAST PEACE-RICE VOA 06 Feb 2005 -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has begun her first Middle East mission in her new job, meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. Ms. Rice, who sees Palestinian leaders Monday, said Israel must take hard decisions to advance hopes for peace.
- NEPAL / CRACKDOWN VOA 06 Feb 2005 -- Nepalese political parties and human-rights groups are calling for the restoration of democracy after King Gyanendra took over the government this week. Despite some calls for popular resistance, the capital is quiet and remains without communications to the outside world.
- TOGO / PRESIDENT VOA 06 Feb 2005 -- Togo's parliament has elected the son of deceased leader Gnassingbe Eyadema to become its new speaker and rule the small West African country until 2008. The parliament endorsed the army's decision Saturday to appoint Faure Gnassingbe as president.
- THAILAND ELECTIONS VOA 06 Feb 2005 -- Thailand's main opposition party has conceded defeat, after exit polls from Sunday's elections predicted a landslide victory for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. The exit polls show Mr. Thaksin's party winning 399 seats in the 500-seat assembly, assuring him an unprecedented second term.
- TOGO / PRESIDENT VOA 06 Feb 2005 -- African organizations are condemning the announcement by Togo's army that the late long serving leader, Gnassingbe Eyadema, has been replaced by his son. The parliament speaker is supposed to take over, but he was trapped outside the small West African nation at the time of Mr. Eyadema's sudden death.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|