30 January 2005 Military News
- SERVICEMEMBER KILLED IN ACTION
- British C-130 Transport Crashes AFPS 30 Jan 2005 -- A British military C-130 transport plane crashed about 25 miles northwest of Baghdad today.
- British C-130 Crashes North of Baghdad VOA News 30 Jan 2005 -- A British C-130 military cargo plane has crashed north of Baghdad. The British Defense Ministry said there was no word on casualties or the cause of the crash.
- Iraqi Police Stations, Polling Places Targeted MNF-I/MNC-I 30 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi police stations and polling places were targeted by anti-Iraqi forces in several attacks Jan. 29.
- Five Detained in Kirkuk MNF-I/MNC-I 30 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Danger and Iraqi Security Forces detained five men in a series of raids in Kirkuk at 3:45 a.m. on Jan. 30.
- Task Force Baghdad Troops Capture Seven Insurgents Responsible for Embassy Rocket Attack MNF-I/MNC-I 30 Jan 2005 -- Seven insurgents responsible for the Jan. 29 rocket attack on the U.S. Embassy were captured by Task Force Baghdad troops approximately one hour after launching their attack.
- Abraham Lincoln Answers the Call in Banda Aceh Navy NewsStand 30 Jan 2005 -- Sailors from USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) and Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 2 have been answering the call for volunteers to support humanitarian assistance and disaster relief in Aceh Province, Sumatra, Indonesia, since the ship arrived on station in the Indian Ocean Jan. 1 in support of Operation Unified Assistance.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Kitty Hawk F/A- 18F Aircraft Mishap Navy NewsStand 30 Jan 2005 -- An F/A-18F Super Hornet assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 102 was involved in an accident on the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63) approximately 100 miles southeast of Yokosuka, Japan, Jan. 29 at approximately 6:30 p.m., Japan Standard Time.
- Aero Union Achieves First P-3 Flight of Hamilton Sundstrand Electronic Propeller Control System Hamilton Sundstrand 30 Jan 2005 -- Hamilton Sundstrand’s digital electronic propeller control system (EPCS) for model 54H60 propellers has performed successfully in the initial series of flight tests on the Aero Union P-3 Tanker aircraft at Aero Union facilities in Chico, California.
- ISRAEL / DEMONSTRATIONS VOA 30 Jan 2005 -- Tens of thousands of Israeli settlers and their supporters demonstrated Sunday evening in Jerusalem against the government's plan to withdraw from the Gaza Strip and small portions of the West Bank. The protests come amid renewed efforts by Israeli and Palestinian leaders to ease tensions and perhaps resume peace talks.
- ISRAEL / PALESTINIANS VOA 30 Jan 2005 -- Israeli Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz says Israel will hand over control of several West Bank cities to Palestinian security forces within the next few days. The news comes after a meeting between Mr. Mofaz and a senior Palestinian security chief
- ACEH PEACE TALKS VOA 30 Jan 2005 -- Indonesian officials and Aceh rebels have ended their first talks in 20 months with an agreement to meet again soon with mediators in Finland. Optimism about ending the 28-year conflict remains, despite the absence of an agreement on a formal ceasefire in the tsunami-devastated region. Meanwhile, clashes between the rebels and Indonesian military continue.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|