29 January 2005 Military News
- TWO KILLED IN HELICOPTER CRASH
- SOLDIER KILLED BY IED BLAST IN BAGHDAD
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- Six more Insurgents Detained by MNF in Northern Iraq MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team) continued operations to ensure security for the elections, detaining six individuals in northern Iraq yesterday.
- More Insurgents Taken off the Streets, Helping Election Security MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces and Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team) continued operations to ensure security for the elections, detaining ten individuals in northern Iraq Jan 29.
- Another Citizen's Tip Leads to Defusing of Bomb MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team) were able to defuse a roadside bomb following a tip received through the Joint Coordination Center in northern Iraq Jan. 28.
- New Technology Launches to Help Locate Origin of Insurgent Attacks MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Military officials in northern Iraq have announced the launch of Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensors System.
- Insurgents Attack Iraqi Police, Polling Stations RFE/RL 29 Jan 2005 -- There have been a number of attacks on Iraqi police and polling stations in Iraq ahead of Sunday's general elections.
- Soldiers Detain two Suspected of Polling Center Attacks MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers attached to the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, detained two suspects at 3:50 p.m., Jan. 29, in the western Baghdad district of Mansour. The pair is suspected of plotting attacks against polling centers in the Baghdad area.
- Troops Discover Explosive Device in Baghdad MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers discovered an improvised explosive device while patrolling in the Iraqi capitol Jan 29.
- Marines Back up Iraqi Security Forces in Najaf MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- On the eve of Iraq's parliamentary elections, Marines here are busy combing the city's streets for suspicious activity from would-be insurgents looking to disrupt voting.
- Seabees Participating in Provisional Support Battalion During Iraq Elections Navy NewsStand 29 Jan 2005 -- Drawing upon the Seabee "We build, we fight" legacy, Navy builders, steelworkers and other Seabee ratings, along with storekeepers, electronics technicians and culinary specialists, are stepping up alongside their Army and Marine counterparts to provide additional security support during the Iraqi election process.
- 13 Weapons Caches Found in Afghanistan in One Week AFPS 29 Jan 2005 -- Thirteen weapons caches were discovered and taken off the streets throughout Afghanistan since Jan. 24, a U.S. military spokesman said during a press conference in Kabul today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Enterprise Rehabilitation Team Hits the Deck Navy NewsStand 29 Jan 2005 -- USS Enterprise (CVN 65) is five months into its Extended Selected Restricted Availability (ESRA) at Northrop Grumman Newport News shipyards.
- TSUNAMI WARNING/MEETING VOA 29 Jan 2005 -- Representatives from more than 40 countries have failed to agree on the location for a new tsunami and disaster warning center for the Indian Ocean. Thailand's case to host the center faced strong resistance from rivals Indonesia and India.
- AFRICAN UNION / SUMMIT VOA 29 Jan 2005 -- African leaders are arriving in Nigeria to take part in a two-day African Union summit, starting Sunday, focusing on war and disease.
- PAKISTAN / GAS PIPELINE BLAST VOA 29 Jan 2005 -- Another apparent act of sabotage has disrupted Pakistan's vital natural gas pipeline system.
- BANGLADESH VIOLENCE VOA 29 Jan 2005 -- In Bangladesh, the political opposition has called a general strike shutting down much of the country (Saturday). The Awami League called the strike after a senior leader and four other people were killed by a grenade attack at a party rally.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|