Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
29 January 2005 - Iraq Special Weapons News
- TWO KILLED IN HELICOPTER CRASH
- SOLDIER KILLED BY IED BLAST IN BAGHDAD
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- Six more Insurgents Detained by MNF in Northern Iraq MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team) continued operations to ensure security for the elections, detaining six individuals in northern Iraq yesterday.
- More Insurgents Taken off the Streets, Helping Election Security MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Iraqi Security Forces and Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team) continued operations to ensure security for the elections, detaining ten individuals in northern Iraq Jan 29.
- Another Citizen's Tip Leads to Defusing of Bomb MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Multi-National Forces from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team) were able to defuse a roadside bomb following a tip received through the Joint Coordination Center in northern Iraq Jan. 28.
- New Technology Launches to Help Locate Origin of Insurgent Attacks MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Military officials in northern Iraq have announced the launch of Joint Land Attack Cruise Missile Defense Elevated Netted Sensors System.
- Insurgents Attack Iraqi Police, Polling Stations RFE/RL 29 Jan 2005 -- There have been a number of attacks on Iraqi police and polling stations in Iraq ahead of Sunday's general elections.
- Soldiers Detain two Suspected of Polling Center Attacks MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Soldiers attached to the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, detained two suspects at 3:50 p.m., Jan. 29, in the western Baghdad district of Mansour. The pair is suspected of plotting attacks against polling centers in the Baghdad area.
- Troops Discover Explosive Device in Baghdad MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers discovered an improvised explosive device while patrolling in the Iraqi capitol Jan 29.
- Marines Back up Iraqi Security Forces in Najaf MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- On the eve of Iraq's parliamentary elections, Marines here are busy combing the city's streets for suspicious activity from would-be insurgents looking to disrupt voting.
- Seabees Participating in Provisional Support Battalion During Iraq Elections Navy NewsStand 29 Jan 2005 -- Drawing upon the Seabee "We build, we fight" legacy, Navy builders, steelworkers and other Seabee ratings, along with storekeepers, electronics technicians and culinary specialists, are stepping up alongside their Army and Marine counterparts to provide additional security support during the Iraqi election process.
- Bush Calls Iraqi Elections Turning Point in Nation's History Washington File 29 Jan 2005 -- President Bush says the Iraqi elections taking place January 30 represent not only a turning point in the nation's history, but a milestone for freedom worldwide and a real advance in the war on terror.
- Elections Mark Turning Point in Iraqi History AFPS 29 Jan 2005 -- "Tomorrow the world will witness a turning point in the history of Iraq, a milestone in the advance of freedom, and a crucial advance in the war on terror," President George W. Bush told the nation and the world today in his weekly radio address.
- BUSH/IRAQ ELECTION VOA 29 Jan 2005 -- President Bush says Sunday's election in Iraq marks a turning point in that country's history. The president used his weekly radio address to highlight the importance of the Iraqi election in the spread of democracy and freedom. The opposition Democrats used their radio address to criticize the administration's pre- and post-war planning in Iraq.
- Iraqi Election Offices Ready for Vote Last of UN-Made Ballots Delivered to Polls MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- The last of the United Nations-made ballots for the Rusafa district of Baghdad were packaged and delivered yesterday from an undisclosed warehouse, to polling stations around the Baghdad area.
- Diyala Provincial Council Hosts Peace Day II MNF-I/MNC-I 29 Jan 2005 -- The Diyala Provincial Council hosted a Peace Day Jan. 27 -- an event aimed at quelling violence in the province and encouraging participation the upcoming elections.
- IRAQ/ERBIL/SCENE VOA 29 Jan 2005 -- On the day before Iraq's historic elections, severe security restrictions to thwart insurgent attacks are being imposed across the country.
- IRAQ / ELECTIONS PREP VOA 29 Jan 2005 -- Despite escalating threats from insurgents to disrupt Sunday's historic elections in Iraq, election workers in the capital, Baghdad, say they are confident that most polling centers in the city will be safe for voters.
- Iraqis Abroad Vote For Second Day RFE/RL 29 Jan 2005 -- The U.S. military reported more fatalities today as expatriate Iraqis cast ballots for a second day in Iraq's national elections.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list