04 January 2004 Military News
- Transcript: Coalition Provisional Authority Briefing 04 Jan 2004 -- Participating was Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, Deputy Director for Coalition Operations and Daniel Senor, Senior Adviser, CPA
- TASK FORCE "ALL-AMERICAN" CAPTURES ARMS DEALERS, CONFISCATES ILLEGAL ARMS CENTCOM Release 04 Jan 2004-- During the past 24 hours, the 82nd Airborne Division and subordinate elements, also known as Task Force "All-American," conducted 167 patrols, five of which were joint patrols with Iraqis, and carried out five offensive operations.
- 101st CAPTURES TOP TARGET, SEIZES WEAPONS CENTCOM Release 04 Jan 2004-- Soldiers of 1st Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) detained a top anti-Coalition suspect during a cordon and search in a small town south of Mosul Jan. 3.
- WRAP UP OF 4TH ID'S ACTIVITIES CENTCOM Release 04 Jan 2004-- In an early morning raid on Jan. 3 in the town of Had Maksar, 3rd Battalion, 67th Armor Regiment soldiers captured 15 individuals, including five persons targeted for anti-Coalition activities. All of the captured are suspected of being members of a former regime element cell. Soldiers confiscated five AK-47 assault rifles with magazines and 150 rounds of AK-47 ammunition.
- 4TH ID'S 24-HOUR ACTIVITY CENTCOM Release 04 Jan 2004-- Soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division and Task Force Ironhorse have, over the past 24 hours, conducted 195 patrols and five raids, capturing 36 individuals. Ten of the patrols were joint operations conducted with the Iraqi Police, the Iraqi Civil Defense Corps and the Border Guard in order to continually improve the safety and standard of living for the Iraqi people.
- Annan hails agreement on new Constitution for Afghanistan UN News Centre 04 Jan 2004 -- United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan today lauded members of Afghanistan's grand council for reaching accord on a founding charter for emerging democracy in the country.
- Bush Congratulates Afghanistan on Adoption of New Constitution Washington File 04 Jan 2004 -- President Bush congratulated the people of Afghanistan January 4 on the adoption of their new constitution.
- BUSH/AFGHANISTAN VOA 04 Jan 2003 -- President Bush is praising Afghanistan's new constitution, calling it a historic step forward.
- Afghanistan: New Constitution Approved By Loya Jirga RFE/RL 04 Jan 2004 -- Afghanistan's Loya Jirga passed a new constitution by consensus today, paving the way for the country's first full democratic elections.
- AFGHANISTAN/CONSTITUTION VOA 04 Jan 2004 -- After weeks of argument, Afghanistan has approved a new constitution, hammering out deals on some of the difficult issues, while postponing others until a new government is elected. But some observers say the agreement comes at a very high price.
- Afghanistan: Officials Meeting To Save Loya Jirga RFE/RL 04 Jan 2004 -- Delegates to Afghanistan's Consitutional Loya Jirga are reported to have been holding behind the scenes meetings and private talks in a bid to save the meeting from collapse.
Defense Policy / Programs
- ISRAEL/SETTLEMENTS VOA 04 Jan 2004 -- Israel has ordered the removal of two more Jewish outposts in the West Bank, in response to U-S pressure to halt settlement activity in the territories.
- ISRAEL/SYRIA VOA 04 Jan 2004 -- Israel has moved to try to calm Syrian and U-S anger over a plan to expand Jewish settlements on the Golan Heights.
- THAILAND / ATTACKS VOA 04 Jan 2004 -- Four Thai soldiers were killed during a raid on a military compound in southern Thailand. As Ron Corben reports from Bangkok, the attack came after 18 schools were set on fire in the same area.
- SUDAN/VIOLENCE VOA 04 Jan 2004 -- A rebel group in the troubled Darfur region of western Sudan has appealed for help, following what it said was an attack by government troops and allied militias.
- GEORGIA / ELECTION VOA 04 Jan 2003 -- Mikhail Saakashvili has claimed victory in Georgia's presidential election with exit polls showing he won more than 80 percent of the vote. The result was expected, and the 36-year-old reformer immediately announce a program of action for the impoverished former Soviet republic.
- EGYPT/CRASH VOA 04 Jan 2004 -- French search and rescue experts, along with D-N-A specialists, have arrived in Egypt to aid in the investigation of Saturday's plane crash that killed 148 people.
- PHILIPPINES BOMB VOA 04 Jan 2004 -- A blast in the southern Philippines has killed at least eight people and injured more than 40 in what police suspect was an assassination attempt on a town mayor.
- BURMA / INDEPENDENCE VOA 04 Jan 2004 -- Leaders of Burma's opposition National League for Democracy marked Independence Day with a religious ceremony and fresh calls for national reconciliation and democracy.
- Israel Aircraft Industries' AMOS 2 Communications Satellite Launched Successfully and on its Way to Final Orbital Slot Israel Aerospace Industries 04 Jan 2004 -- AMOS 2 communications satellite is on its way to its final orbital slot at 4 degrees West. All satellite systems andIAI control room after the sucessful launch of AMOS 2 communication satellitesubsystems are working properly, and the Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) operations are progressing as planned and on schedule.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|