27 December 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- News agencies say warplanes have begun dropping powerful aerosol bombs on Chechen bases, sometimes located in caves and deep trenches. The incendiary devices release a large cloud of flammable gas and cause massive explosions that can clear out bunkers and other fortifications.
- YEARENDER: CHECHNYA WAR Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- The war united a nation shamed by a long string of military setbacks from Afghanistan to Kosovo to its complete impotence in the face of NATO's eastward expansion.
- RADIO LIBERTY FIGHTS ON THE SIDE OF TERRORISTS RUSSIAN INFORMATION CENTRE STATEMENT 27 December 1999 -- The amateur video footage shot in Grozny in mid-December which one of the Russian TV channels showed yesterday is a fresh fake. The faked film in the production of which the Radio Liberty reporter took a most active part, is known to have turned out a failure.
- YEARENDER: EAST TIMOR Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- East Timor is slowly coming back to life after the deadly violence that shook the territory earlier this year.
- PERU / FUJIMORI Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- President Fujimori says his government has suppressed two guerrilla movements and improved the national infrastructure and educational system.
- IVORY COAST Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- Life is beginning to return to normal in Ivory Coast. The country's new military leader says he plans to form a new government by next week.
- INDONESIA / VIOLENCE Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- Inter-communal violence has again erupted in the Indonesian province of Maluku, leaving a reported 37 civilians and Indonesian soldiers dead and dozens injured.
- ERITREA-DEPORTEES Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- Ethiopia reportedly is continuing to deport Eritrean nationals living in Ethiopia. An additional 15-hundred Eritreans are said to have been expelled over the past few days (since Friday).
- INDIA HIJACK Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- India sent a team of negotiators and medical personnel to Afghanistan to talk with hijackers who seized an Indian Airways plane Friday.
- INDIA/HIJACK CRITICISM Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- Security experts in New Delhi say the government's slow response to the crisis allowed the situation to get out of control.
- CHINA / FALUN GONG Voice of America 27 December 1999 -- Security remains tight in Beijing Monday, one day after a court handed down severe jail sentences to four members of the banned Falun Gong spiritual movement.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|