340th Flying Training Group [340th FTG]
The 340th reports to 10th Air Force (Air Force Reserve Command) during peacetime and to 19th Air Force (Air Education and Training Command) in the event of mobilization.
The 340th FTG and its five squadrons comprise the first Reserve Associate units in the history of AETC.
Originally established in August 1942 at Columbia AAB, SC. The unit was designated the 340th Bombardment Group (Medium). The group flew B-25s, engaging chiefly in support and interdiction missions. The 340th participated in the reduction of Pantelleria and Lampedusa in June 1943, the bombing of German evacuation beaches near Messina in July, the establishment of the Salerno beachhead in September, the drive for Rome during January to June 1944, the invasion of Southern France in August, and attacks on the Brenner Pass and other German lines of communication in Northern Italy from September 1944 to April 1945. Shortly thereafter, the B-25s and aircrew were back in the US. and the unit deactivated in November 1945. The unit was reactivated and continued performing medium bombardment training in the Air Force Reserve from October 1947 to August 1949 at Tulsa Municipal Airport, OK.
The 340th Bombardment Group was again reactivated in May 1968 at Carswell AFB, TX. In June 1977, it was redesignated as the 340th Air Refueling Group (Heavy) and moved in July 1977 to Altus AFB, OK. It was redesignated the 340th Air Refueling Wing (Heavy) in October 1984 and reassigned to Fifteenth Air Force, Strategic Air Command in June 1988 with subsequent redesignation as the 340th Air Refueling Wing on 1 September 1991. It was reassigned to Air Mobility Command on 1 June 1992, and inactivated on 1 October 1992.
The 340th is now reactivated at Randolph AFB, TX, as the 340th Flying Training Group, organized to provide associate instructor pilots for the AETC SUPT mission. The Group consists of a headquarters element at Randolph AFB and five Associate Reserve Flying Training Squadrons. The 5th FTS at Vance AFB, 43rd and Columbus AFB, 96th at Laughlin AFB, 97th at Sheppard AFB, and the 100th at Randolph AFB all report to the 340th FTG.
The 340th has a number of decorations including eleven campaign streamers and two Distinguished Unit citations.
The mission of the 340th Flying Training Group and its subordinate Flying Training Squadrons is to train and provide a reserve of experienced instructor pilots to augment the Air Education and Training Command's (AETC) instructor cadre. The reserve associate unit is created and mobilized to offset the anticipated loss of active duty pilots in AETC's Pilot Instructor Training pipeline.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|