Tenth Air Force
Tenth Air Force, located at Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, TX, directs the activities of more than 11,400 reservists located at more than 23 military installations throughout the United States.
The Headquarters is responsible for managing and supervising six fighter wings, three geographically dispersed rescue units, one bomber unit, one Airborne Warning and Control (AWACs) associate unit, one special operations wing , one space group, one Regional Support Group, and more than 120 non-flying units in logistics and support roles. With a full time staff of 87 and 93 reservist, Tenth Air Force and the 610 Regional Support Group, monitor and provides assistance to all subordinate units to ensure they maintain readiness to supplement the nation's active Air Force units with operationally ready units on a moment's notice. If mobilized, the flying units and their support elements would be gained by Air Combat Command (ACC) and Special Operations Command (AFSOC) and recently acquired missions to support Space Command (AFSPACOM) and Air Education and Training Command (AETC). Tenth Air Force units fly satellites for both US SPACECOM and NOAA.
The flying organizations within Tenth Air Force include fighter units equipped with the F-16 (Fighting Falcon) and A-10 (Thunderbolt II), air rescue units equipped with the HC-130 (Hercules) tankers and the HH-60 (Blackhawk) helicopter, a bomber unit equipped with the B-52H (Stratofortress), and a special operations unit equipped with the C-130 (Combat Talon/Combat Shadow).
The 610th Regional Support Group at NAS Fort Worth JRB is responsible for the management of approximately nine geographically separated units throughout the United State, in addition to HQ 10 AF support. Additional organizations include medical, civil engineering, combat logistics, communications, security forces, aerial port, and aeromedical units.
The mission of Tenth Air Force is to exercise command supervision of its assigned Reserve units to ensure they maintain the capability to supplement the nation's active force with operationally ready units at a moment's notice.
Flying Training Squadrons have been activated at all the AETC pilot training locations including Randolph AFB, San Antonio, TX, where the Flying Training Group headquarters is located. A test program has been started to evaluate placing Fighter Associate units, similar to the Air Mobility Command airlift program, in Air Combat Command. Test are being undertaken at Shaw AFB, SC, for the F-16.
With approximately 100 full-time headquarters staff members, Tenth Air Force acts as the focal point for all matters pertaining to assigned Air Force Reserve units and individuals. With the assistance of more than 150 Reservists assigned, the headquarters monitors and provides assistance to all subordinate units to help resolve problem areas and more efficiently maintain unit combat readiness.
The Tenth Air Force was created for air combat operations in India and Burma during World War II. In the years following the War the Tenth Air Force served the air defense and reserve training programs.
The Tenth Air Force in the China-Burma-India theater was heir to Maj. Gen. Claire L. Chennault's American Volunteer Group of "Flying Tigers." The Tenth Air Force was built up in India in 1942, around a nucleus of air force personnel newly arrived from Java and the Philippines, under the command of Maj. Gen. (later Lt. Gen.) Louis Brereton. It, too, had headquarters at New Delhi at a later date. In these early days of theater organization, the Tenth Air Force constituted most of the American military establishment in India. In China, General Chennault's American Volunteer Group, which eventually became the Fourteenth Air Force, was still under the control of Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek. In July 1942, what remained of it was inducted into the U.S. Army as the China Air Task Force, and complement of the India Air Task Force, both of which were elements of the Tenth Air Force. As a result of decisions which the Joint Chiefs of Staff made in Washington, DC, the Tenth Air Force expanded in 1943. It required new bases which Theater Headquarters ordered Services of Supply to build and maintain. General Chennault's China Air Task Force was later incorporated into the Army as the Fourteenth Air Force. The Tenth and Fourteenth Air Forces constituted the major American combat forces in the theater. Throughout the life of the China-Burma-India theater, General Chennault's air element constituted the bulk of the U.S. Forces in China-an element greatly outnumbered by the troops of the Services of Supply and the Tenth Air Force in India. The Tenth Air Force processed and trained crews for combat and transport activities. From bases in Assam, it also supervised and protected supply flights over the Hump and prepared to support Allied ground efforts with close air support and operations against Japanese communications and supply installations in Burma. General Chennault relinquished command of the Fourteenth Air Force in August 1945. During the last months of the year many personnel and units of the Tenth and Fourteenth Air Forces were moved out of China. In December 1945 both air forces were disbanded; only units remained.
Activated on 24 May 1946 at Brooks Field (later, AFB), TX, Tenth Air Force was assigned to Air Defense Command. It moved to Offutt AFB, NE, 1 July 1948; Fort Benjamin Harrison (later, Benjamin Harrison AFB), IN, 25 September 1948. Assigned to Continental Air Command on 1 December 1948. Moved to Selfridge AFB, MI, 16 January 1950. Discontinued, and inactivated, on 1 September 1960, Tenth Air Force was activated on 20 January 1966, assigned to Air (later, Aerospace) Defense Command. Organized on 1 April 1966 at Richards-Gebaur AFB, MO, it was inactivated on 31 December 1969. In the 1960s the Commander of the Central North American Air Defense Region had additional duty as commander, Tenth Air Force, located at Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, MO.
On July 1, 1960, the Fourth Air Force Reserve Region was formed at Randolph Air Force Base, San Antonio, TX. The Fourth Region was one of five Reserve regions and became operational on September 1, 1960, under the control of Continental Air Command (CAC). CAC was discontinued on August 1, 1968, and was replaced by Headquarters Air Force Reserve, located at Robins Air Force Base, GA. In July 1969, Fourth Region moved from Randolph AFB to Ellington AFB, near Houston, TX.
On December 31, 1969, the five regions were merged into three. The responsibilities of the Fourth and Fifth Regions were consolidated into the new Central Air Force Reserve Region. Eastern Region became responsible for the First and Second Region areas, the Sixth Region became the Western Region. This change increased the area of responsibility of Central Region from five states to 14, ranging from the Canadian to the Mexican borders.
When Air Force operations were phased out of Ellington AFB, Central Region Headquarters moved to Bergstrom AFB, in Austin, TX, on March 10, 1976. The Air Force Reserve's entire intermediate management structure was then realigned effective October 8, 1976; and the Reserve Regions were inactivated and succeeded by the currently activated Tenth Air Force. Redesignated Tenth Air Force (Reserve) on 24 September 1976, the unit activated in the Reserve on 8 October 1976 at Bergstrom AFB, TX, assigned to Air Force Reserve. It was redesignated Tenth Air Force on 1 December 1985.
As a result, the unit assumed command over all Tactical Air Command-gained and Strategic Air Command-gained units regardless of geographic location. In return, all Military Airlift Command-gained units previously assigned to Central Region were transferred to the newly designated Fourth Air Force at McClellan AFB, CA, and Fourteenth Air Force at Dobbins AFB, GA. Fourteenth Air Force was redesigned Twenty-second Air Force on July 1, 1993.
Tenth Air Force underwent downsizing mandated by higher headquarters and has responded to force structure changes of the "new" Air Force. On October 1, 1993, all air refueling assets were transferred to Headquarters Fourth Air Force and Twenty-second Air Force and are now gained by Air Mobility Command. Concurrently, Tenth Air Force assumed management responsibility for the Air Force Reserve rescue mission when this mission became part of the Air Combat Command. The Air Force Reserve activated its first B-52 bomber organization at Barksdale AFB, LA, and Tenth Air Force assumed management responsibility for this new mission on October 1, 1993. On July 1, 1994, Tenth Air Force assumed command and control of all Fourth Air Force C-130 airlift, special operations, and weather units, and on October 1, 1994, assumed command and control of all Twenty-second Air Force C-130 units.
Tenth Air Force was functionally transferred to NAS JRB Fort Worth, TX, during the summer of 1996.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|