7th Brigade (Training Support), 84th Division (Institutional Training)
In 2004, the 84th Division (Institutional Training) underwent a major transformation. As a result, all 8 of the Division's brigades were inactivated and reflagged as elements of the 100th Division.
7th Brigade (Training Support), 84th Division (Institutional Training) was headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Its mission was to support the schools, Infantry One Station Unit Training (OSUT), Reserve Office Training Corps, and Fort Benning basic training.
The 7th Brigade, 84th Division was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as the 309th Supply Train and assigned to the 84th Division. It was organized on 7 September 1917 at Camp Zachary Taylor, Kentucky. The 84th Division traveled to Europe as part of the American contribution to World War I, but was used to provide replacements to the front rather than act as maneuver unit. The unit recieved a campaign streamer without inscription for its participation in the conflict. The unit was demobilized between June and July 1919 at Camp Sherman, Ohio.
The unit was reconstituted on 21 September 1936 in the Organized Reserves and concurrently consolidated with the 409th Quartermaster Regiment. The 409th Quartermaster Regiment had been first organized in November 1921 in the Organized Reserves as the 84th Division Train, Quartermaster Corps, with Headquarters at Indianapolis, Indiana. The 84th Division Train, Quartermaster Corps had been redesignated on 23 March 1925 as the 84th Division Quartermaster Train and again on 1 July 1936 as the 409th Quartermaster Regiment. The consolidated unit was designated as the 409th Quartermaster Regiment, an element of the 84th Division.
The 409th Quartermaster Regiment was redesignated on 23 February 1942 as the 409th Quartermaster Battalion. it was redesignated (less the Ordnance Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company) on 27 September 1942 as the 84th Quartermaster Company, an element of the 84th Infantry Division. The Ordnance Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company thereafter had a separate lineage. The unit was ordered into active military service on 15 October 1942 and reorganized at Camp Howze, Texas. The unit served with the 84th Infantry Division served in 3 campaigns during the Second World War: Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. After the Second World War the unit was inactivated 24 January 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
The unit was redesignated on 19 December 1946 as the 84th Airborne Quartermaster Company with the redesignation of the 84th Infantry Division as the 84th Airborne Division. It was activated on 19 May 1947 at Green Bay, Wisconsin. The location of the unit's headquarters was changed on 17 March 1948 to Appleton, Wisconsin. The Organized Reserves was redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps, which was redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The 84th Airborne Quartermaster Company remained assigned to these new entities. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1952 as the 84th Quartermaster Company with the redesignation of the 84th Airborne Division as the 84th Infantry Division. The location of its headquarters was changed on 16 December 1957 to Menasha, Wisconsin. The Company was disbanded on 18 May 1959 at Menasha, Wisconsin.
The unit was reconstituted on 24 November 1967 in the Army Reserve as the 84th Committee Group and assigned to the 84th Division (Training). It was activated on 31 January 1968 at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 September 1971 as Headquarters, 84th Committee Group and again on 15 October 1978 as Headquarters, 84th Training Command, an element of the 84th Division (Training). It was inactivated on 16 October 1984 at Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
The unit was redesignated on 16 November 1996 as Headquarters, 7th Brigade, 84th Division (Training), and activated at Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|