Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


728th Main Support Battalion
"Pride of the State"

The 728th Main Support Battalion is the largest battalion in the 28th Infantry Division. The 728th MSB's and two maintenance companies are located in Lock Haven, PA.

The unit has eight separate units within the state, stretching from Kane to Sellersville, PA. The unit is a subordinate battalion within the 28h DISCOM, Headquarters in Harrisburg, PA.

A Company, located in Lock Haven is a Petroleum, Oil, and Lubrication unit.

B Company, located in Pine Grove, with a Detachment in Kane, is the Transportation Company. It operates everything from 5/4T pickups to M915 Tractors.

C Company, located in Lock Haven, is the heavy maintenance unit, offering DS Maintenance for tracked and wheeled vehicles.

D Company, located in Clearfield, is Electronic Maintenance. Working on TOW/Dragon Missle systems, MLRS Missle systems, and communications systems repair.

E Company, from Lancaster, is the Medical Unit.

The 728th Main Support Battalion was originally organized on 27 July 1878 in the Pennsylvania National Guard as the Franklin Guard, at Chambersburg, PA. It was redesignated on 11 October 1878 as Company C, 8th Infantry, before bring disbanded on 19 June 1884 at Chambersburg, PA.

The unit was reconstituted on 5 September 1884 as a company, 3d Brigade, and organized at Chambersburg, PA. It was redesignated on 3 June 1887 as Company C, 8th Infantry, before being mustered into Federal Service on 12 May 1898 at Mount Gretna for War with Spain as Company C, 8th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. It was mustered out on 7 March 1899 at Augusta, GA.

The unit was again mustered into Federal Service on 9 July 1916 at Mount Gretna, PA, for service on the Mexican border. It was mustered out on 27 February 1917 at Chambersburg, PA. On 5 August 1917, the unit was drafted and mustered into Federal service at Chambersburg, PA, for World War II. On 11 October 1917, the unit consolidated with Company C, 16th Infantry (organized 1898) and was redesignated as Company C, 112th Infantry, an element of the 28th Division. The unit was mustered out on 6 May 1919 at Camp Dix, NJ.

It was reorganized on 8 March 1921 as Company C, 8th Infantry, at Chambersburg, PA, before being Federeally recognized on 22 March 1921. On 1 June 1921, it converted and was redesignated as Troop E, 104th Cavalry, an element of the 22d Cavalry Division; and again on 23 September 1940 as Battery E, 166th Field Artillery, at which point it was relieved from assignment to 22d Cavalry Division.

On 13 January 1941, the unit was inducted into Federal service at Chambersburg, PA, for World War II. It was reorganized on 7 March 1943, and redesignated as Battery B, 939th Field Artillery Battalion. On 23 October 1945, it inactivated at Camp Patrick Henry, VA.

On 24 May 1946, the unit converted and was redesignated as the 728th Ordnance Maintenance Company, an element of the 28th Infantry Division. It was organized and Federally recognized on 11 December 1946 at Chambersburg, PA. On 5 September 1950, it was ordered into Federal service at Chambersburg, PA, for the Korean War. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 April 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 728th Ordnance Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division (its organic elements were concurrently constituted and activated). On 25 January 1954, the 728th Ordnance Battalion [NGUS] organized and was Federally recognized with Headquarters at Lock Haven, PA. It was released on 15 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control with station at Lock Haven; its Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 728th Ordnance Battalion [NGUS].

On 1 April 1963, the unit was reorganized and redesignated as the 728th Maintenance Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division with Headquarters at Lock Haven, PA. On 1 February 1968 Company D was allotted to the VA ARNG and on 21 January 1968 Company C was allotted to the MA ARNG. Both companies were reallocated on 1 April 1975 to the PA ARNG.

On 1 March 1992, the unit converted, reorganized and was redesignated as the 728th Support Battalion (Main) an element of the 28th Infantry Division.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list