70th Regional Readiness Command
70th Regional Support Command
With headquarters at historic Fort Lawton in Seattle Washington, the 70th Regional Readiness Command (RRC) was one of 10 Major Subordinate Commands of the United States Army Reserve. Each RRC is responsible for facility support of all USAR units in one of the ten Federal Emergency Areas. The 70th RRC was responsible for Region X - Oregon, Washington and Idaho.
In addition to providing facility support for all regional USAR units, the 70th RRC is a Command and Control headquarters for many active reserve units in the three state area. More than 4000 active reserve soldiers train monthly and for two contiguous weeks during the year to provide critical skill units for the total Army in a variety of specialized disciplines. These include hospital, engineering, transportation (including watercraft), postal and other combat service support skills. Many of these soldiers have skills and specialties which are well aligned with their civilian occupations - providing additional benefit to the Army and the community.
The 70th Regional Readiness Command began as the 124th U.S. Army Reserve Command (ARCOM) Dec. 13, 1967, with headquarters at Fort Lawton, Wash. Official designation as the 124th ARCOM was made March 1, 1968, and it was assigned to the Sixth U.S. Army March 8, 1968. The 124th ARCOM was assigned the mission of preparing its subordinate units to mobilize and perform wartime tasks.
Prior to the formation of the 124th ARCOM, the subordinate reserve units had been controlled by Tenth Corps of the active Army. Part-time reserve officers had been under command of Active Army Officers. When Tenth Corps was deactivated, the 124th ARCOM was created as the new headquarters for all reserve units. Initial command of the ARCOM was assumed by Major General Michael B. Kauffman on Dec. 19, 1967. The 124th ARCOM reported directly to Sixth Army at the Presidio in San Francisco, Calif., as its next higher headquarters until the U.S. Army Reserve Command (USARC) was established in Atlanta, Ga., in 1991.
The 124th U.S. Army Reserve Command, by direction of USARC, began reorganization in 1995, changing from an Army Reserve Command to a Regional Support Command. In 1996, the 124th Regional Support Command was inactivated and took up the name and heritage of the 70th Division (Training) and became the 70th Regional Support Command. In addition to this change, the territory of the command changed from command and control of subordinate units in Washington-Oregon-northern California to command and control of subordinate units in Washington, Oregon and Idaho.
The 70th Division (Training) began as the 70th Infantry Division at Camp Adair, OR, in 1943. The three infantry regiments of the 70th Infantry Division landed at Marseille, France, 10-15 December 1944, and were formed into Task Force Herren before the arrival of the remainder of the Division on 18 January 1945. Task Force Herren took over defensive positions along the west bank of the Rhine, 28 December 1944, in the vicinity of Bischweiler, south of Haguenau Forest. Elements took part in the fight to stop the German winter offensive, and struck at the enemy at Phillipsbourg and at Wingen. In mid-January 1945, the Task Force moved to an area directly south of Saarbrucken, where it carried out reconnaissance and combat patrols, and improved defensive positions. Upon the arrival of the remainder of the Division, Task Force Herren was dissolved. Patrolling and combat raids continued as preparations were made for an offensive drive in mid-February. On 17 February 1945, the attack jumped off just below the Saar River. The 70th drove onto high ground overlooking Saarbrucken, smashed into Forbach, took Stiring-Wendel, and continued across the Saar to take Saarbrucken, 20 March 1945. Pushing through Siegfried Line defenses along the north bank of the Saar, the Division took Volklingen and other Saarland cities and towns. In April it took part in the reduction of the Saar Basin, and after VE-day was engaged in occupational duties, with CP's at Otterberg, Bad Kreuznach, Frankfurt, and Oranienstein.
In 1945 the 70th was inactivated at Camp Kilmer, N.J. In 1952 it was allotted to the Organized Reserve Corps, now known as the Army Reserve. Later the same year the 70th was redesignated as the 70th Division (Training). It remained in Detroit until 1968, when it was moved to Livonia, Mich. The 70th Division (Training) was formally inactivated in Michigan on Nov. 15, 1996. The very next day, the 70th Regional Support Command was activated at Fort Lawton, Wash., bringing the name of the 70th back to the Northwest.
In late 2003 all Regional Support Commands were re-designated to Regional Readiness Commands.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD recommended to disestablish the 70th Regional Readiness Command and close Fort Lawton. This recommendation would support the Army Reserve's Command and Control restructuring initiative to reduce Regional Readiness Commands from ten to four.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|