703rd Brigade Support Battalion
703rd Forward Support Battalion
703rd Main Support Battalion
"Maintain the Line"
In mid-2004 the 3rd Infantry Division began transformation to the US Army's new modular force structure. Some of the changes included the relationships between the Division's brigades and division level support assets. The Division Support Command (DISCOM) was inactivated. Some of the inactivated subordinate units were redesignated and reorganized and subsequently reactivated as part of the 3rd Sustainment Brigade. Each modular Brigade Combat, including the newly activated 4th Brigade Combat Team, gained a Brigade Support Battalion, taking over the mission previously performed by the Division's 3 Forward Support Battalions. The 703rd Main Support Battalion was also inactivated, redesignated and reorganized first as the 703rd Forward Support Battalion, and then as the 703rd Brigade Support Battalion, part of the 4th Brigade Combat Team. The previously attached 92nd Chemical Company was reassigned to the 3rd Sustainment Brigade Special Troops Battalion.
The modular Brigade Support Battalions consist of a Headquarters and Headquarters Company, a Supply and Distribution Company, a Medical Company, and 4 Forward Support Companies assigned to the Brigade's other battalions.
Prior to the modular transformation, with over 1,100 soldiers assigned to the battalion, the 703rd Forward Support Battalion was the largest battalion in the 3rd Infantry Division. The Battalion provided the critically needed logistical support to the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized). The Battalion brought 72 different Military Occupational Skills (MOSs) and unique logistical capabilities together to build combat power and replace lost combat potential for the Division fight. The Battalion was comprised of 7 companies: A Headquarters Company, a Supply and Services Company, a Transportation Company, a Medical Company, a Heavy maintenance Company, an Electronic and Light Maintenance Company and has the Division's Chemical Company.
The 703rd Brigade Support Battalion was constituted on 18 October 1927 in the Regular Army as the 48th and 49th Motor Repair Sections. It was activated on 28 July 1930 at Fort Mason, California. The unit was then consolidated, reorganized, and redesignated on 1 May 1936 as Company E, 3rd Quartermaster Regiment, an element of the 3rd Division (later designated as the 3rd Infantry Division). It was again reorganized and redesignated on 12 October 1939 as the Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 3rd Quartermaster Battalion.
On 1 August 1942, it was reorganized and redesignated as the Ordnance Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 3rd Quartermaster Battalion. It was then reorganized and redesignated on 27 September 1942 as the 703rd Ordnance Light Maintenance Company, an element of the 3rd Infantry Division. During the Second World War, the unit was credited with participating in the following campaigns: Tunisia, Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Anzio, SDFSDF, Southern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe.
It was reorganized and redesignated on 15 November 1946 as the 703rd Ordnance Maintenance Company.
The unit later served with distinction in the Korean War with participations in the following Korean campaigns: CCF Intervention, CCF Spring Offensive, UN Summer-Fall Offensive, Second Korean Winter, Summer-Fall 1952, Third Korean Winter, Summer 1953. On 1 February 1953 it was once again reorganized and redesignated, this time as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 703rd Ordnance Battalion, an element of the 3rd Infantry Division with its organic elements constituted on 24 November 1952 and activated on 1 February 1953.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 20 March 1963 as the 703rd Maintenance Battalion. It was later inactivated on 15 May 1985 in Germany.
The unit was then redesignated on 1 May 1987 as the 703rd Support Battalion (Main) and activated in Germany as an element of the 3rd Infantry Division. The Battalion colors moved to Fort Stewart on 25 April 1996 with the bulk of the 3rd Infantry Division.
The Battalion deployed to Kuwait and Iraq in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom from 19 January to 19 August 2003.
As part of the transformation to the US Army's new modular force structure the unit was redesignated as the 703rd Support Battalion (Forward) and reassigned to 4th Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division on 27 April 2004. The organizatio and activation of a 4th Brigade was part of the modular transformation. Each modular brigade also had its own organic support element, previously held at division level in the Division Support Command (DISCOM).
Soldiers of the Battalion deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom III from 15 January 2005 to 12 January 2006.
On 27 June 2006, the unit was again redesignated as the 703rd Brigade Support Battalion, bringing it in line with the designation for brigade support elements under the modular force structure. In 2007 the 4th Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) was alerted for deployment to Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom in late 2007. The 4th Brigade, including the 703rd Brigade Support Battalion, continued to serve in that country into 2008.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|