92nd Chemical Company
The 92nd Chemical Company was first constituted on 8 September 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 92nd Chemical Company. It activated on 26 December 1942 at Camp Sibert, Alabama.
Although originally scheduled to embark from San Francisco to the Pacific Theatre, the situation in North Africa dictated a change of plans. On 10 May 1943, the unit landed at Casablanca and moved on the Tindja, North Africa, arriving 7 June 1943.
The unit reorganized and was redesignated on 17 February 1944 as the 92nd Chemical Composite Company. On 16 March 1944, Detachment A (one officer and 17 enlisted) deployed to Corsica. Detachment B (one officer and 72 enlisted) deployed to Palermo, Sicily on 30 March 1944. On 26 May 1944, the remainder of the company (5 officers and 104 enlisted) departed to Oran, Algeria. Detachment B reached Naples, Italy on 17 June 1944. The rest of the Company arrived in Naples on 16 August 1944. On 3 April 1945, the Company was redesignated as the 92nd Chemical Service Company. The unit was inactivated on 16 June 1946 in Italy.
The Company was reactivated on 19 January 1949 at Rocky Mountain Arsenal, Colorado. The Company was assigned to the Chief, Chemical Corps as a general reserve unit. The Company detached 5 officers and 78 enlisted from 13 August to 15 November 1949 for "Exercise Cross Index" at Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, which subsequently occurred during January-February 1950. On 15 October 1950, the 92nd Chemical Service Company arrived in Yokohama, Japan, and was assigned to Eighth Army. The Company arrived at Inchon, Korea on 6 November 1950.
It was allotted to the regular Army on 25 October 1951. The Company participated in 9 campaigns of the Korean War: CCF Intervention, First UN Counteroffensive, CCF Spring Offensive, UN Summer-Fall Offensive, Second Korean Winter, Korea Summer-Fall 1952, Third Korean Winter, and Korea Summer 1953. The Company was reorganized and redesignated as the 92nd Chemical Company on 11 October 1954. It was inactivated on 28 May 1955 in Korea.
The Company was reactivated on 26 March 1963 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and was inactivated there on 15 June 1966.
On 21 September 1979, the 92nd Chemical Company was reactivated in Germany and assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized). The Company was stationed at the Giebelstadt Army Airfield and provided the 3rd Infantry Division with decontamination and smoke support.
In 1996, the Company moved to Fort Stewart, Georgia as part of the redeployment of 3rd Infantry Division from Germany to CONUS. The 92nd Chemical Company provided chemical decontamination, and smoke support to the 3rd Infantry Division in order to support mobile combined offensive and defensive operations. The 92nd Chemical Company's mission was to provide out-of-sector decontamination and reconnaissance support for a battalion size task force. It provided one decontamination squad and 2 reconnaissance vehicles with crews to the task force commander.
In 2004 the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) began transformation to the US Army's new modular force structure. As part of the reorganization of divisional support assets, the 92nd Chemical Company became part of the 3rd Sustainment Brigade's Special Troops Battalion.
In January 2005, the 92nd Engineer Battalion deployed to Baghdad in support of Multi-National Division-Baghdad (MND-B) during Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) 04-06. The 92nd Chemical Company, C/365th Engineer Combat Battalion (Heavy), part of the US Army Reserve; and C/107th Enginer Battalion, part of the US Army National Guard, were attached to the 92nd Engineer Battalion. While deployed, the 92nd Engineer Battalion operated as part of the 36th Engineer Combat Group and provided general construction engineering and chemical force protection support to units in the Baghdad area of responsibility. 276 construction missions were executed to include the construction of an Iraqi tank gunnery range, a headquarters and airfield complex for the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, numerous battalion and brigade headquarters, SEA Huts, and the repair of over 100 IED craters.
The 92nd Chemical Company held a 2-part training exercise with the Kuwaiti National Guard at Camp Fahreer, Kuwait between 25 and 26 November 2008. The host nation National Guardsmen were trained onhow to respond in case of a chemical attack. The 92nd Chemical Company gave the Kuwaitis demonstrations on the Falcon decontamination system, Toxic Industrial Chemical Protection and Detection Equipment and the M93 Fox NBC reconnaissance vehicle.
From October 2006 until January 2008, the 92nd Chemical Company deployed in support of Area Support Group-Kuwait and provided consequence management support to the Aerial and Sea Ports of Debarkation, as well as QRF support to Camp Arifjan. Specifically, the company provided mounted and dismounted CBRN reconnaissance, thorough decontamination, and fixed site decontamination capabilities to ASG-Kuwait.
Upon returning from Kuwait, the 92nd Chemical Company was reassigned to the 23rd Chemical Battalion for training and readiness authority.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|