66th Military Intelligence Brigade
66th Military Intelligence Group
The mission of the 66th Military Intelligence Brigade, "Power Forward," is to conduct multi-discipline intelligence operations and produce predictive all-source intelligence in support of US Army Europe, Theater and national commanders in order to facilitate the gaining and maintaining of information dominance.
The 66th Military Intelligence Group was first constituted on 21 June 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 66th Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment. It was activated at Camp Rucker, Alabama on 1 July 1944. Attached to the 66th Infanry Division, the 66th Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment deployed to France on 27 December 1944. The Detachment's primary mission was to screen French refugees fleeing from besieged German strongholds at St. Nazaire and Lorient, France. After a short post war service in Germany, the unit returned to the United States and was inactivated at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey on 12 November 1945.
Four years later, on 10 November 1949, the 66th Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment was reactivated and assigned to the United States Army Europe in Stuttgart, Germany. The Detachment was allotted on 20 September 1951 to the Regular Army and on 20 December 1952 was reorganized and redesignated as the 66th Counter Intelligence Corps Group. Its primary mission was to conduct counter intelligence operations in the southern German states of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Bavaria, Rhineland Pfalz and the Saarland.
The Group was reorganized and redesignated on 1 January 1960 as the 66th Military Intelligence Group. It was again redesignated on 25 July 1961 as the 66th Intelligence Corps Group. On 1 April 1962, the unit reorganized with newly activated security, collection, and linguist companies to support the Seventh US Army. On 15 October 1966 the Group was redesignated as the 66th Military Intelligence Group. As a result of further consolidation of Army intelligence assets in Germany during September 1968, the 66th Military Intelligence Group moved from Stuttgart to Munich and assumed the additional Counter Intelligence mission in Northern Germany, as well as intelligence support to the United States Army Europe.
In February 1977, the 66th Military Intelligence Group was assigned to the US Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM) and on 16 October 1986 was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 66th Military Intelligence Brigade. After the collapse of the Warsaw Pact and the Soviet Union, the Brigade once again restructured and relocated to a new headquarters in Augsburg, Germany with subordinated detachments operating throughout Europe. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 16 October 1992 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 66th Military Intelligence Brigade. In Summer 1995, a drawdown coupled with treaty restrictions resulted in the inactivation of the 66th Military Intelligence Brigade on 16 July 1995.
The unit was redesignated on 28 February 2002 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 66th Military Intelligence Group and activated on 16 October 2002 in Germany. It was eventually relocated to Darmstadt, Germany due to realignment and base closures. Also in 2002, the 105th Military Intelligence Battalion (Provisional) was added to the Group organization and the 533rd Military Intelligence Battalion was inactivated and reflagged as the 2nd Military Intelligence Battalion. The 109th Military Intelligence Group (Provisional) at Menwith Hill Station, England was assigned in 2004.
On 15 September 2005, the 323rd Military Intelligence Battalion (US Army Reserve) at Fort Meade, Maryland was aligned with the Group. In late 2006, the 1st Military Intelligence Battalion (Aerial Exploitation) was assigned to INSCOM and then permanently attached to the 66th Military Intelligence Group. With the inactivation of the 205th Military Intelligence Brigade, the 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion was assigned to the Group in January 2008. In July 2008, the 66th Military Intelligence Group was redesignated as the 66th Military Intelligence Brigade and in September of that year, the Brigade moved from Darmstadt to Wiesbaden Army Airfield, Germany.
2009 saw further transformation as the 302nd Military Intelligence Battalion was reflagged as the 24th Military Intelligence Battalion and the 109th Military Intelligence Group as the 709th Military Intelligence Battalion.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|