50th Engineer Company (Assault Float Bridge)
The 50th Engineer Company was first constituted on 10 March 1943 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1054th Engineer Port Construction and Repair Group. It was activated on 1 April 1943 at Fort Screven, Georgia.
This unit was redesignated on 6 January 1945 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1054th Engineer Port Construction and Repair and inactivated on 20 December 1945 in Japan.
It was redesignated on 12 May 1949 as the 50th Engineer Port Construction Company and allotted to the Regular Army. This unit was activated on 20 June 1949 at Fort Worden, Washington and again redesignated on 27 March 1954 as the 50th Engineer Company. It was inactivated on 25 March 1959 in Korea.
It was activated on 7 December 1959 at Fort Belvoir, Virginia and inactivated on 15 September 1972 at West Point, New York.
The unit was again activated 16 February 1992 in Korea. Company E, 2nd Engineer Battalion was reflagged as the 50th Engineer Company, attached to the 2nd Engineer Battalion. The 50th Engineer Company was located at Camp Laguardia, South Korea.
In October 2005 the 2nd Engineer Battalion was inactivated as part of the reduction of US Forces in Korea and the transition of the 2nd Infantry Division to the US Army's modular force structure. As a result the 50th Engineer Company was also inactivated. Camp La Guardia was returned to the Republic of Korea.
In 2006 the 50th Engineer Company was reactivated at Fort Leonard Wood, in Missouri.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|