Engineer Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division
In 2005, as part of the transformation of the 2nd Infantry Division to the US Army's new modular force structure, the Engineer Brigade was inactivated.
The mission of the Engineer Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division was to, on order, conduct combat engineer and general engineering operations in support of 2nd Infantry Division's operations inside of the Republic of Korea.
The Brigade consisted of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, the 2nd Engineer Battalion and the 44th Engineer Battalion. Corps assets attached to the Brigade included the 50th Engineer Company (Assault Float Brigade) and the 82nd Engineer Company (Combat Support Equipment). Korean augmentation included the 3rd and 7th Korean Service Corps Companies.
The Engineer Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division was first constituted as part of the Regular Army on 16 February 1992 at Indianhead Field, Camp Casey, Republic of Korea. The Engineer Brigade was formed from elements of the 2nd Engineer Group. The Group came to Korea shortly after the outbreak of hostilities in 1950 and received several Meritorious Unit Commendations between 1950 and 1953. After the war, the Group assumed its mission as the area engineer group for Seoul and Inchon. The Group occupied several camps in Korea, with Camps Richmond and Coiner among them. At the time, the Group was composed of the 44th and 802nd Engineer Battalions (Combat Heavy).
In August 1991, the Group moved to Camp Hovey, where it was reorganized in November 1991 to become the Engineer Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division. The Engineer Brigade was soon after relocated to Camp Howze.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|