The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


5th Battalion (Strike), 25th Field Artillery Regiment
"Thunder"

The mission of the 5-25th Field Artillery is to, when directed, deploy and provide joint lethal and non-lethal Direct Support fires in support of full spectrum operations for 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division.

The 5th Battalion, 25th Field Artillery Regiment was first constituted as Battery D, 25th Field Artillery Regiment. It was originally constituted on 5 July 1918 in the Regular Army as part of the 25th Artillery Regiment, assigned to the 9th Infantry Division. The Battery was inactivated on 8 February 1919 following World War I at Camp McClellan, Alabama.

The unit was reconstituted on 22 December 1920 as Battery D, 25th Field Artillery Regiment (Philippine Scouts) at Fort William McKinley, Philippine Islands in the Philippine Division. On 1 January 1930 the 25th Field Artillery Regiment was relieved of duty with the Philippine Division and reassigned to the 9th Infantry Division and dropped the Philippine Scout designation. On 1 December 1934 the 25th Field Artillery Regiment was activated at Madison Barracks, New York. This unit was relieved on 16 October 1939 from assignment to the 9th Infantry Division.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 30 December 1940 as Battery B, 25th Field Artillery Battalion. This unit was inactivated on 21 March 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey. The 25th Field Artillery Battalion was redesignated on 1 August 1946 as the 25th Parachute Field Artillery Battery and activated at Fort Benning, Georgia. It was inactivated on 14 November 1946 at Fort Benning, Georgia.

The former Battery B, 25th Field Artillery Battalion, was redesignated on 29 November 1949 as Battery B, 25th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion. It was concurrently, consolidated with Battery B, 25th Field Artillery Battalion (active), and the consolidated unit was designated as Battery B, 25th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 10th Infantry Division.

This unit incorporated the lineage of the active Battery B, 25th Field Artillery Battalion. This unit had been constituted on 19 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as Battery B, 604th Field Artillery Battalion. It was activated on 11 January 1943 at Camp Carson, Colorado. The 604th Field Artillery Battalion was assigned on 15 July 1943 to the 10th Light Division (later redesignated as the 10th Infantry Division). This unit was inactivated on 10 November 1945 at Camp Carson, Colorado. It was redesignated on 18 June 1949 as Battery B, 25th Field Artillery Battalion, and allotted to the Regular Army. It was subsequently activated on 1 July 1948 at Fort Riley, Kansas.

The consolidated unit was inactivated on 1 July 1957 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 10th Infantry Division. It was redesignated on 31 July 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Battalion, 25th Artillery and again on 1 September 1971 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Battalion, 25th Field Artillery.

It was again redesignated on 20 March 1978 as Battery E, 25th Field Artillery, assigned to the 2nd Infantry Division, and activated in Korea. This unit was inactivated on 16 June 1988 in Korea and relieved from assignment to the 2nd Infantry Division.

It was redesignated on 16 January 2005 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 5th Battalion, 25th Field Artillery, assigned to the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, and actiavated at Fort Polk, Louisiana, its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. The Battalion was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 5th Battalion, 25th Field Artillery Regiment.

The 5-25th Field Artillery was deployed to Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom during 2006, and continued to be stationed in that country through 2008.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list


One Billion Americans: The Case for Thinking Bigger - by Matthew Yglesias


 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:29:19 ZULU