4th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary)
4th Corps Materiel Management Center
"Leader in Logistics"
The mission of the 4th Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) is to functions as an operational command post for a theater sustainment command, providing operational-level sustainment support. To this end it would lead, plan, coordinate, synchronize, monitor, and control operational-level logistics within an assigned area of operations.
The 4th Expeditionary Sustainment Command was first constituted on 16 January 1952 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Logistical Command and activated on 10 February 1952 at Leghorn, Italy.
The unit was inactivated there on 20 January 1954. It was reactivated on 15 June 1958 in France. Headquarters, 4th Logistical Command was reorganized and redesignated on 24 June 1961 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Logistical Command, with the Headquarters Company concurrently disbanded. The Command's Headquarters and Headquarters Company was reorganized and redesignated on 7 May 1964 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 4th Logistical Command and again on 24 June 1964 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Logistical Command. The unit returned to the United States and was inactivated on 23 June 1967 at Fort Lee, Virginia.
The unit was redisgnated on 21 December 1975 as the 4th Support Center and activated at Fort Hood, Texas. It was redesignated on 1 March 1989 as the 4th Materiel Management Center Corps Support Command, an element of the 13th Corps Support Command. The mission of the 4th Corps Materiel Management Center was to provide continuous materiel management for III Corps and, on order, deploy, sustain materiel management using split-base operations. The 4th Corps Materiel Management Center consisted of the following units: the Automated Services Division, which established and maintained data transmission accuracy, software management and Intra-Theater class VII management, monitored automated communication network between Corps Materiel Management Center (Forward) and the CTASC-II, Block II, provided SARSS-O customer assistance, and developed internal hardware/software applications; the Corps Ammunition Management Office, which acted as the III Corps (Ammunition) point of contact for Aviation and Missile Command, Industrial Operations Command, and Forces Command Ammunition Manager; the Equipment Readiness Division, which performed integrated materiel management for aviation, electronic, and ground equipment, coordinated/assisted in regeneration and reconstitution operations, and monitored backlog in maintenance units; the Readiness Operation Division, which coordinated and supervised Materiel Management Teams (MMT) and the operations of the logistics statistics, and coordinated Corps Materiel Management Center external support (Support Operations functions); and the Supply Division, which supervised and developed policy for class I, II, III, IV, and local purchase items, and acted as the III Corps point of contact for Troop Support issues, the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), and the General Services Administration (GSA).
The 4th Corps Materiel Management Center recieved participation credit for 2 campaigns in support of Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm during 1990-1991. On 1 October 2000, the unit was reorganized and redesignated as the 4th Support Center.
The 4th Corps Materiel Management Center deployed during Operations Iraqi Freedom II and 06-08, and in between those deployments, deployed to New Orleans in support of relief operations following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. During the first deployment to Iraq, the Center planned, coordinated, managed, and synchronized the distribution of 4.3 million cases of meals ready to eat, 1.2 million tray pack meals, 185,000 cases of humanitarian rations, 9.3 million cases of bottled water, 520 million gallons of fuel, and more than 10,400 short tons of ammunition valued at over $600 million to combat units across the theater. It also directed subordinate units that produced nearly 1 billion gallons of potable water and processed over 4.8 million supply requisitions valued at over $3.5 billion. Maintenance managers assigned to the battalion managed and monitored the completion of more than 13,000 ground maintenance work orders and 5,000 aviation maintenance work orders, supporting the readiness of 132 different equipment systems consisting of over 24,000 vehicles.
The 4th Support Center was inactivated on 15 September 2007 at Fort Hood, Texas. It cased its colors in an inactivation ceremony at Guidon Field, Fort Hood, Texas on 15 January 2008. The Center was the last of the legacy Theater, Corps, and Division materiel management centers to inactivate from the active Army. The inactivation was part of the transformation of the US Army to the modular force structure.
On 29 November 2007, the unit had been withdrawn from the Regular Army and allotted to the Army Reserve. It was redesignated on 16 October 2008 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Sustainment Command, and the unit was activated at San Antonio, Texas.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|