43rd Signal Battalion
The mission of the 43rd Signal Battalion is to provide signal sustaining-base support and information management to Headquarters US Army Europe (USAREUR)/Seventh US Army; Headquarters, V Corps; and other military units and activities within the communities of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Worms, Kaiserslautern, Pirmasens, Miesau and Landstuhl.
The 43rd Signal Battalion was first constituted on 7 February 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 43rd Signal Construction Battalion and activated at Camp Crowder, Missouri. The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1944 as the 43rd Signal Heavy Construction Battalion. The Battalion served in 4 campaigns in the Second World War: Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. After the Second World War, the Battalion was inactivated on 28 May 1946 in Germany.
The Battalion was redesignated on 1 August 1966 as the 43rd Signal Battalion, concurrently allotted to the Regular Army and activated in Vietnam. While in Vietnam the Battalion participated in 11 campaigns: Counteroffensive Phase II, Counteroffensive Phase III, Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V, Counteroffensive Phase VI, Tet 69/Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive, and Counteroffensive Phase VII. Companies A, B, C, D, and E were inactivated on 1 March 1970 in Vietnam. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 43rd Signal Battalion was inactivated on 30 May 1971 in Vietnam.
Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 43rd Signal Battalion was reactivated on 1 July 1974 in Germany and assigned to the 2nd Signal Group (subsequently redesignated 2nd Signal Brigade), 5th Signal Command.
The Battalion deployed in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm between 1990 and 1991, participating in 3 campaigns: Defense of Saudi Arabia, Liberation and Defense of Kuwait, and Cease-Fire.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|