Military


413th Civil Affairs Battalion

The 413th Civil Affairs Battalion was first constituted on 17 February 1949 in the Organized Reserve Corps as the 413th Military Government Company and activated on 25 February 1949 at Dallas, Texas. The Company was inactivated there on 31 October 1950. It was reactivated on 15 January 1951 at Lubbock, Texas. On 9 July 1952 the Organized Reserve Corps was redesignated as the Army Reserve, a part of which the Company remained. The Company was reorganized and redesignated on 15 October 1956 as the 413th Civil Affairs and Military Government Company. The unit was redesignated on 20 October 1959 as the 413th Civil Affairs Company.

The 413th Civil Affairs Company was ordered into active military service between 11 and 27 December 1990 at Lubbock, Texas. It was released from active military service between 25 March and 23 April 1991 and reverted to reserve status. During this period, the unit participated in Operation Desert Storm, recieving credit for the Liberation and Defense of Kuwait and Cease-Fire campaigns. The Company was reorganized and redesignated on 16 September 1992 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 413th Civil Affairs Battalion, with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated.

The Battalion's distinctive unit insignia was approved on the 14 June 1993. Purple and white are the colors traditionally associated with Civil Affairs organizations. The torch and globe are adapted from the insignia of branch of Civil Affairs. The sections of the shield represent unity and the organization's military/civilian mission, as well as symbolizing cooperation, teamwork and strength. The olive branches symbolize peace and underscore the unit's motto.

The coat of arms was approved on 14 June 1993. Purple and white are the colors traditionally associated with Civil Affairs organizations. The torch and globe are adapted from the insignia of branch of Civil Affairs. The sections of the shield represent unity and the organization's military/civilian mission, as well as symbolizing cooperation, teamwork and strength. The olive branches symbolize peace and underscore the unit's motto.

The 413th Civil Affairs Battalion was located near Lubbock, Texas. The 413th Civil Affairs Battalion provided deployed military units a direct link to local governments, the civilian populace, and international organizations. As a part of US Special Operations Command, the Battalion worked closely with Special Forces and Psychological Operations to provide the supported units with the tools for effective Civil-Military operations. Officers of any branch were accepted and would be cross-trained and branch transfered to Civil Affairs Branch.

Elements of the Battalion were ordered into active military service between 15 and 22 November 1996 at Lubbock, Texas. They were released from active military service between 11 and 18 August 1996 and reverted to reserve status.

In 2006, the decision was made to remove the bulk of Psychological Operations and Civil Affairs units, as well as the Army Civil Affairs and Psychological Operations Command from Army Special Operations Command. The Army Civil Affairs and Psychological Operations Command and its subordinate units were subsequently reassigned to the US Army Reserve Command.

The Battalion as a whole was ordered into active military service between 28 February 2006 and 1 February 2007 at Lubbock, Texas in support of the Global War on Terrorism (later referred to as Overseas Contingency Operations). It was released from active military service between 20 January 2007 and 24 April 2008 and reverted to reserve status. Elements of the Battalion were again ordered into active military service between 19 August and 10 September 2008 at Lubbock, Texas.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list