The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military


40th Infantry Division Support Command (DISCOM)

The 40th Infantry Division Support Command (DISCOM) was originally constituted on 3 December 1941 in the Army of the United States as Company A, 640th Tank Destroyer Battalion. It activated on 19 December 1941 at Camp San Luis Obispo, CA, with personnel from the Antiaircraft-Antitank Platoons, Headquarters Batteries, 1st and 2d Battalions, 143d Field Artillery. It inactivated on 13 January 1946 at Camp Anza, CA.

The unit was allotted on 15 March 1949 to the California Army National Guard; it concurrently expanded, reorganized, and was Federally recognized as the 140th Heavy Tank Battalion, with Headquarters at Barstow, and assigned to the 40th Infantry Division (later redesignated as the 40th Armored Division).

The unit was ordered into active Federal service on 1 September 1950 at home stations. It was redesignated on 3 October 1950 as the 140th Tank Battalion (140th Tank Battalion [NGUS] was organized and Federally recognized on 3 September 1952 with Headquarters at Barstow; the location of Headquarters changed on 14 April 1953 to Pasadena). It was released on 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control with Headquarters at Pasadena; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 140th Tank Battalion (NGUS).

Headquarters and Service Company and Medical Detachment were reorganized and redesignated on 1 July 1959 as Headquarters Company, 4th Medium Tank Battalion, 185th Armor, an element of the 40th Armored Division (remainder of 140th Tank Battalion as the 4th Battalion, 185th Armor - hereafter separate lineage).

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1963 as Headquarters Company, 4th Battalion, 185th Armor. It was converted and redesignated on 29 January 1968 as the 2668th Transportation Company and relieved from assignment to the 40th Armored Division; its location concurrently changed to Bell. It relocated on 13 January 1974 to Long Beach before converting and being redesignated on 1 November 1976 as the 40th Infantry Division Materiel Management Center.

The unit consolidated on 1 August 1985 with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 40th Infantry Division Support Command, which had originally been constituted on 28 October 1971 in the California Army National Guard as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 223d Support Group, organized and Federally recognized on 1 November 1971 at Bell. It was converted and redesignated pm 13 January 1974 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 40th Infantry Division Support Command, and relocated on 1 November 1976 to Long Beach.

The consolidated unit was designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 40th Infantry Division Support Command, It was ordered into active Federal service on 1 May 1992 at Long Beach; and was released on 9 May 1992 from active Federal service and reverted to state control.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:28:05 ZULU