4th Battalion, 320th Field Artillery Regiment
The 4th Battalion, 320th Field Artillery Regiment's mission is to deploy world wide within 36 hours to provide direct supporting fires for the 4th Brigade Combat Team/506th Regimental Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). On order, the 4-320th Field Artillery conducts air assault operations in support of the brigade scheme of maneuver.
The 4-320th Field Artillery traces its lineage back to when it was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as Battery D, 320th Field Artillery, an element of the 82d Division. This unit was demobilized on 12 May 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey following the end of World War I.
It was reconstituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Battery D, 320th Field Artillery, an element of the 82d Division (later redesignated as the 82d Airborne Division). It was later absorbed on 13 February 1942 by Battery A, 320th Field Artillery Battalion.
The former Battery D, 320th Field Artillery was reconstituted on 22 March 1957 in the Regular Army and redesignated as Battery D, 320th Artillery and assigned on 1 September 1957 to the 82d Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
On 25 May 1964 Battery D was inactivated at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and relieved from assignment to the 82d Airborne Division. It was redesignated as Battery D, 320th Field Artillery on 1 September 1971 and assigned on 2 October 1986 to the 193rd Infantry Brigade the Canal Zone. This unit was again inactivated on 15 October 1994 in Panama and relieved from assignment to the 193rd Infantry Brigade.
The 4-320th was reformed as a result of the transition of the 101st Airborne Division to the US Army's new modular force structure beginning in 2004. A component of this transformation was the addition of a fourth brigade to each modular division. The 506th Regimental Combat Team (Air Assault) became the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division. The transformation of the RCT to a modular BCT required the reformation and addition of various elements. On of these was the 4-320th Field Artillery, reactivated and staffed by taking personnel from the 3 existing battalions of the 320th Field Artillery Regiment (formerly assigned to the 101st Division Artillery). Battery D, 320th Field Artillery was redesignated 17 March 2004 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Battalion, 320th Field Artillery (organic elements concurrently constituted). The Battalion was officially assigned on 16 September 2004 to the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division, and activated at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, and redesignated 1 October 2005 as the 4th Battalion, 320th Field Artillery Regiment.
As of 2008 the 4-320th was serving in Afghanistan with the rest of the 4th Brigade Combat Team/506th Regimental Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division in Regional Command East, as part of the United States contribution to the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|