39th Signal Battalion
The mission of the 39th Signal Battalion is to install, operate, maintain and defend integrated Theater, Joint, and Combined Network operations throughout the BENELUX (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg), United Kingdom, and Northern Germany areas, enabling battle command for all Warfighters. Specific tasks include: IOM and defending communications Infrastructure in the Battalion area of responsibility in support of Army, Joint, Interagency and NATO forces with special emphasis on US European Command (EUCOM) Nuclear Operations and the Combatant Commander's communication support team; providing regional COMSEC logistical support; commanding and controlling the infostructure to provide network management, information assurance, and information dissemination management; recruiting, training, and sustaining a versatile, professional workforce; ensuring the well-being of soldiers, civilians, and family members.
Previously, the mission of the 39th Signal Battalion had been to provide strategic signal support, Information Management Area (IMA), and reach back support throughout the Battalion's area of responsibility, which includes Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, the United Kingdom, and Northern Germany.
The 39th Signal Battalion was first constituted on 11 December 1944 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 3907th Signal Service Battalion. It was activated on 17 January 1945 in France. During the Second World War the Battalion participated in 2 campaigns: Rhineland and Central Europe. After the Second World War, the Battalion was inactivated on 25 November 1945 in Germany.
The Battalion was redesignated on 19 July 1951 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 39th Signal Support Battalion, and allotted to the Regular Army. It was activated on 6 August 1951 at Camp Gordon, Georgia. The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 15 June 1954 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 39th Signal Battalion.
During the Vietnam conflict, the 39th Signal Battalion performed yeoman service, being the first signal unit to arrive and the last to leave. The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated during its deployment on 15 June 1969 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 39th Signal Battalion. Once the fighting stopped, the Battalion supported the international peacekeeping force that monitored the troop withdrawal and prisoner exchange. On 15 March 1973, the Battalion stood down and became the last Regular Army battalion to leave South Vietnam. During almost 11 years in Vietnam, the unit was decorated with all 17 campaign streamers of the Vietnam conflict and 5 Meritorious Unit Commendations. The Battalion colors were cased at Tan Son Nhut and escorted to West Germany where the headquarters element of the 447th Signal Battalion was reflagged as the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 39th Signal Battalion.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|