35th Infantry Division (Mechanized) Artillery (DIVARTY)
The 35th Division Artillery is part of the 35th Infantry Division, one of the 18 original National Guard divisions authorized for service in World. It was organized on 2 August 1917 and placed under the command of Major General William Wright at Camp Doniphan, OK (now part of Ft Sill). The division was made up of Kansas and Missouri National Guard soldiers who had been on active federal service since March and April of 1917. The original division had three machine gun battalions, three field artillery regiments, four infantry regiments, one engineer regiment and one signal battalion.
The 35th Infantry Division Artillery is responsible for command and control of all assigned and attached artillery assets in the 35th Infantry Division. This includes artillery units in Kansas, Kentucky, and Illinois.
The 35th Division Artillery was constituted and federally recognized on 7 June 1923 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 60th Field Artillery Brigade, Kansas National Guard. It was inducted into federal service on 23 December 1940 at Topeka, KS. It was redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery 35th Division Artillery on 3 February 1942. After wartime service in the European Theater of Operations, it was inactivated on 3 December 1945.
The 35th Division Artillery was reactivated in October 1985. The 35th Division Artillery campaign streamers for combat service include Normandy, Northern France, Ardenes-Alsace, Central Europe and Rhineland.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|