UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!


Kansas Army National Guard

The Kansas Army National Guard maintains 76 armories, and is present in 57 communities.

The Kansas Army National Guard contended with three federally declared disasters in FY99 for heavy flooding, tornadoes and high winds. Soldiers provided military support to civil authorities through debris cleanup, security and roadblock missions, search and rescue and providing emergency power generators.

On the international scene, members of the 24th Medical Detachment spent seven months in Bosnia in support of the NATO peacekeeping mission. Soldiers also participated in Joint Task Force Caribbean Castle building schools in the Dominican Republic. The 714th Maintenance Company completed annual training in Panama preparing for the end of US Army presence. Soldiers also participated in several events under the Partnership for Peace program including Operation Peace Shield '99, a conference with Ukrainian chaplains and visits by the Ukraine Ministry of Emergency.

Two milestones in annual training achievements included completion of Multiple Launch Rocket System battery certification by the 2nd Battalion, 130th Field Artillery. The 1st Battalion, 161st Field Artillery became one of the first Guard units nationwide to fire the new Copperhead rounds.

During FY99, the KSARNG also prepared for possible emergencies related to the "Y2K bug" by conducting communications exercises with the National Guard Bureau and Guard units from other states.

After the Civil War, settlers rushed to the rich and relatively empty lands of the Great Plains. By mid-1867 the Plains Indian tribes, recognizing the threat to their traditional way of life, were regularly attacking settlers, railroad workers and travelers. When the angry and frightened citizens of Kansas demanded military help, the War Department authorized placing volunteer militia units on active duty during the emergency. On July 15, 1867, four companies of the 18th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry were mustered into Federal service. Under command of Captain Horace L. Moore, the 18th set out immediately for a month of vigorous campaigning. Returning to camp at Ft. Hayes, then in the midst of a cholera epidemic, the Kansans then joined forces with the 10th U.S. Cavalry, the famous black 'Buffalo Soldiers'.

A combined force of 135 men, commanded by Captain George A. Armes of the 10th, rode down the Saline River; Captain Moore, with 125 Kansans, scouted upstream. The two groups had lost contact with each other when Captain Armes' group was struck by 300 to 400 Kiowas and Cheyennes under the great war chiefs Satanta and Roman Nose. As Armes' group of men held their ground through fierce fighting, the men of the 18th Kansas, hearing the noise of battle, managed to fight their way through to Armes. To break the stalemate, Captain Armes formed a party for a charge on the Indians. Led by Armes, the force of about 20 black regulars and Kansas volunteers moved first toward Prairie Dog Creek, and then, turning, charged up the hill toward the main body of warriors. The Indians broke and scattered, ending the day's fighting. The cavalry had lost 3 men dead and 36 wounded; the Indians, 50 dead and 150 wounded. The Battle of Prairie Dog Creek ended the U.S. Army's offensive operations of the Kansas frontier for the year, and in the fall treaties were signed with the tribes of the Southern Plains. The tradition of the 18th Kansas Volunteer Cavalry carries on with the Kansas Army and Air National Guard.

From 1861 to 1865, seventeen regiments of volunteer infantry and cavalry, plus four separate batteries of artillery were accepted into the service of the Union Army. These units totaled about 21,000 men of which two regiments and one separate battery were Black. Three regiments of American Indians were recruited mostly in Kansas. Approximately 13,400 militia responded to a call from the governor when General Prices' rebel forces were driving toward Kansas. The militia units together with U.S. forces were successful in protecting Kansas against the invasion and defeated rebel forces.

From 1867 to 1868, during the Indian Wars, the Eighteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry was a battalion sized unit organized as Kansas Militia and mustered into Federal service in 1867 to defend settlers in Kansas against hostilities by Indians. In October 1868, a full regiment was organized for a six month period of Federal service to defend against Indians. Both of these organizations served with distinction. Kansas State Militia units were organized and deployed in the service of the State on many occasions during the period from the Civil War through the middle 1800s.

From 1898 to 1899, during the Spanish-American War, four regiments of Kansas Volunteers entered into Federal service totaling 4,000 men. The Twentieth Kansas served heroically in the Philippine Islands under Colnel Frederick Funston. Funston remained in the Philipines and effected the capture of the rebel leader with the aid of other officers and some natives. This act hastened an end to the hostilities. Although hostilities ended prior to their arrival and the 23d performed only occupational duties, they were recognized for their efficiency and discipline.

In 1916, the Kansas National Guard provided 2,800 soldiers for Federal service on the border to guard against invasion from Mexico. Most of the units were stationed at Eagle Pass, TX, for about two months and were mustered out after five months of service.

From 1917 to 1919, as part of the World War I effort, the entire Kansas National Guard, totaling 10,000 men, was called to Federal service. All the 35th Division except an ammunition train assigned to the 42nd Division. These units served in Europe and participated in the in actions against the Germans, primarily the Argonne Offensive.

From 1940 to 1946, as a result of World War II, the entire Kansas Army National Guard, consisting of four regiments in the 35th Division and many supporting units, was mobilized a year prior to Pearl Harbor. The 35th Division was sent to southern California to protect against possible Japanese invasion. In June 1942, elements of the division were sent to the Aleutians to combat the Japanese. The remainder of the division was reorganized and sent to Europe. The 635th Tank Destroyer Battalion fought through the Normandy Invasion. The 137th Infantry Regiment fought in the Battle of St. Lo. As part of Gen Patton's 3rd Army, it participated in the capture of Orleans and Nancy France; Battle of the Bulge Crossing of the Rhine capture of the Ruhr Valley; and near Berlin at war's end. The 127th Observation Squadron, Wichita, was organized and mobilized in 1941 and sent to Kalajkunda in Fall 1944. 127th Fighter Squadron was activated in 1946.

From 1950 to 1952, during the Korean War, the 127th Jet Fighter Squadron, KSARNG and its supporting units were called for duty with HQ Btry, 130th FA Group, 174th MP Bn, and 195th Art Bn. They served for 21 months in a Federal status. Many Kansans served in Korea.

From 1961 to 1962, during the Berlin Crisis Near 450 Kansas Guardsmen were called National Guard, totaling to active duty. The 250th OD Co; 110th OD HHD, 110th OD Bn and HQ Det, 469th OD Gp served at Ft Riley. The 170th Ammo Co was stationed at Ft. Bliss, TX.

From 1955 to 1965, the Air National Guard was on "Strip Alert" and the 190 ARG and the 184th TFG were on alert status numerous times during the period.

From 1966 to 1969, during the Vietnam War, the 69th Bde was mobilized into active Federal service in May 1968. The 69th Bde went to Fort Carson, CO, and some 2,350 members were deployed to Vietnam. The 995th Maint Co was also mobilized in May of 1968 and was sent to Fort Hood, TX. The unit sent some 60 soldiers to Southeast Asia. The 184th Tactical Fighter Group also was mobilized in January of 1968 and it was sent to Kunsan Air Base in the Republic of Korea.

From 1990 to 1991, some 500 members of the 190th Air Refueling Group volunterred for active service and were sent to Saudia Arabia on the 10th of Aug 1991. The 170th Maint Co of Hays was mobilized for duty in the Persian Gulf in late Nov of 1991 and were deployed to Saudi Arabia after a short training period at Fort Riley, Kansas.

Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list

Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:34:23 ZULU