330th Medical Brigade
Army medical personnel, as well as selected civilian medical personnel, received a primer about Emergency Medical Response to Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) during a course held at Fort McCoy July 16-18, 2001, by the 330th Medical Brigade. The course was designed to provide military and civilian medical personnel with a working knowledge of the emergency medical aspects of biological and chemical weapons. Healthcare professionals increasingly are being tasked to plan and prepare an emergency medical response in WMD scenarios. The 330th, which is part of the 88th Regional Support Command of Fort Snelling, Minn., assembled a number of Army experts in the WMD field to teach the course. The 330th also provided a wide variety of reference materials for the attendees to take back to their units for further dissemination.
Army Reservists have been on the front lines of "the first war of the 21st century" since the morning of September 11th. As the Pentagon evacuated following the attack, many Army Reservists moved to where they could help. Brig. Gen. John W. Weiss, commanding general of the 330th Medical Brigade at Fort Sheridan, Ill., went to an open-air emergency triage area set up near the Pentagon and started helping the injured. Weiss, in town for the policy council meeting, is a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the University of Wisconsin and a transfusion medicine physician.
Headquarters and Headquarters Company 330th Medical Brigade was constituted 30 November 1944 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters, 30th Hospital Center. Activated 30 December 1944 in the Philippine Islands. Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1945 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 30th Hospital Center. Inactivated 25 January 1946 in the Philippine Islands. Redesignated 26 May 1947 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 306th Hospital Center, and allotted to the Organized Reserves. Activated 15 June 1947 at Atlanta, Georgia. Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. Redesignated 1 September 1949 as Headquarters, 306th Hospital Center. Redesignated 31 January 1953 as Headquarters, 30th Hospital Center. Inactivated 31 March 1963 at Atlanta, Georgia. Activated 18 July 1969 at Chicago, Illinois. Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1975 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 30th Hospital Center. Reorganized and redesignated 16 April 1993 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 330th Medical Brigade.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was approved on 6 October 1993. On a rectangle quartered scarlet and maroon arced at the top and bottom with a gold border, a white cross throughout bearing a gold torch entwined by a green serpent. Maroon and white are the colors traditionally associated with the Medical Corps. Red suggests sacrifice and compassion. The four sections united by the cross symbolize teamwork and unity as well as highlighting the unit's medical mission. The torch, symbolizing leadership and knowledge, is entwined by a serpent, recalling the Staff of Aesculapius and underscoring healing and the medical arts.
The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 30th Hospital Center on 8 Nov 1979. It was redesignated for the 330th Medical Brigade, with description and symbolism revised, on 6 Oct 1993. A silver color metal and enamel device, consisting of a cross quartered red (crimson) and maroon and centered in a silver disc encircled by a white ring within a blue ring surrounded by a continuous maroon scroll inscribed "TO LEAD AND MANAGE" in silver letters. Maroon and white are colors traditionally associated with the Medical Corps. Blue refers to the location of the unit near Lake Michigan. Blue, white and red allude to the Presidential Unit Citation awarded the parent unit for service in the Pacific Theater during World War II. The cross, a traditional symbol of medicine, is divided scarlet and maroon equally, symbolizing mercy and mission.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|