324th Military Police Battalion
The 324th Military Police Battalion is an Army Reserve unit headquartered at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. They are military policemen, trained in security and peacekeeping. Many of them are police officers and corrections officers in their civilian lives. But every MP will tell you that those initials stand for "multi-purpose". The 324th's recently revised mission moved them from a combat support assignment to one of enemy prisoners of war and civil affairs.
In the Summer of 2000 a number of 80th Div. soldiers from 4th Bn., 318th Reg., 1st Bde., Alexandria, Va., participated in a Battalion Internment Facility field training exercise (FTX) with the 324th Military Police Bn., Gettysburg, Pa. The FTX included such scenarios as: conduct area security, maneuver and mobility, internment and resettlement, force frotection and police intelligence operations.
Constituted 31 May 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 801st Military Police Battalion Activated 4 June 1942 at Fort Ord, California Inactivated 31 May 1946 in the Philippine Islands Redesignated 11 June 1947 as the 324th Military Police Battalion and allotted to the Organized Reserves Activated 4 July 1947 at Seattle, Washington (Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve) Battalion broken up 21 August - 19 September 1948 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows: Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment reorganized and redesignated 21 August 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 324th Military Police Battalion (Companies A and B inactivated 21 August 1959 at Seattle, Washington; disbanded 22 August 1959) (Company C inactivated 18 September 1959 at Tacoma, Washington; disbanded 19 September 1959) (Company D inactivated 18 September 1959 at Pasco, Washington; disbanded 19 September 1959) Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 324th Military Police Battalion, reorganized and redesignated 15 March 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 324th Military Police Battalion Location changed 10 January 1968 to Fort Lawton, Washington; on 1 December 1972 to Seattle, Washington; on 16 July 1983 to Fort Lawton, Washington Inactivated 15 September 1990 at Fort Lawton, Washington Activated 1 September 1997 at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 324th Military Police Battalion
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|