317th Quartermaster Battalion
The 317th Quartermaster Battalion is also known as the 317th Supply and Services Battalion. The 317th Quartermaster Battalion falls under the 326th Area Support Group, which in turn falls under the 89th Regional Support Command.
The 317th Quartermaster Battalion is an Army Reserve unit located in Lawrence, Kansas. The Battalion provides command and control for six subordinate units all located in the Northeast Kansas area (the part of Kansas with hills). The subordinate companies vary in size and function, and provide a number of different combat service support capabilities critical to the success of the US Army. The Battalion has soldiers in a variety of military skills, and operating a wide assortment of military equipment.
The unit was originally created 25 February, 1943 as the 317th Ordnance Maintenance Battalion. It was then activated 1 May of that year at Camp Beale, California. On 1 June of that year, it was re-designated as the 317th Ordnance Battalion (they took out the maintenance part). Shortly thereafter, the 317th went over to Europe. They received battle credits for participating in the following campaigns while over there: Northern France Campaign; Germany Campaign; Normandy Campaign (2 credits); Central Europe Campaign; Ardennes-Alsace; Rhineland. During this time the 317th was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation (a unit award comparable to the Legion of Merit awarded to individuals). The 317th is also authorized to carry the EUROPEAN THEATER streamer on the Battalion colors. On 25 February 1946, the 317th was inactivated while in Europe.
On 14 January 1947, the 317th was allotted to the Organized Reserves and assigned to the Second Army. The unit was re-activated 24 January 1947 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In 1948 the Organized Reserves was re-designated the Organized Reserve Corps and then the Army Reserve in 1952. The 317th was re-assigned from the Second Army to the First Army on 1 January 1966 and was later moved to Leetsdale, Pennsylvania, 21 November 1966. The unit was inactivated again on 31 January 1968.
On 01 March 1974 the Battalion was re-designated as the 317 Supply and Services Battalion. It was then assigned to the Sixth Army and activated at Lawrence, Kansas. On 17 September 1992 it was re-designated the 317th Quartermaster Battalion.
The heraldic bucket, a device used during the time of the crusades by troops for their water supply, symbolizes the basic mission of the organization. The purpose of the unit was to supply soldiers with necessities - to include food and water. The three rays and the two lightning flashes allude to the distinguished service with the Third Army during World War II. Combined they represent the sum total of campaigns credited during that period. The award of the Meritorious Unit Commendation is indicated by the red color of the lightning flashes.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|