2nd Engineer Brigade
The mission of the 2nd Engineer Brigade is to train and deploy modular, manuever support, and combat service support units to any contingency. On order, the 2nd Engineer Brigade headquarters would deploy and execute command and control of attached forces in order to provide full-spectrum manuever support to Army, joint, interagency operations.
The 2nd Engineer Brigade was first constituted on 12 June 1942 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Engineer Amphibian Brigade and activated on 20 June 1942 at Camp Edwards, Massachusetts. The 2nd Engineer Amphibian Brigade constituted part of the core of the US Army Engineer Amphibian Command, the US military proponent to develop doctrine to sustain amphibious operations. Its principal units consisted of the Brigade Headquarters, 3 Engineer Boat and Shore Regiments, a Boat Maintenance Battalion, a Medical Battalion, and numerous support companies.
On 10 May 1943, the unit was redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Engineer Special Brigade. This unit conducted 82 combat landings and landed with 15 different assault divisions, including one Marine Division and 3 Australian Divisions, and functioned under Navy and Army command. The Brigade was first to employ amphibious trucks and barrage rockets in the Pacific Theater and invented and perfected anti-aircraft defenses in landing craft flak boats, downing no less than 50 Japanese aircraft. Units of the Brigade participated in 5 official campaigns, to include: East Indies, Northern Solomons, New Guinea, Southern Philippines, Bismarck Archipelago, and Luzon. The Brigade's headquarters was credited with only 2, New Guinea and Leyte (streamer with arrowhead indicating participation in the initial assault). Eight of the Brigade's units received the Presidential Unit Citation, and one soldier, Private Van Noy, received the Congressional Medal of Honor. The unit returned to the United States in December 1945.
Units of the 2nd Engineer Special Brigade were stationed at Fort Worden, Washington, until the beginning of the Korean War, when the Brigade moved to Yokohama, Japan. From there the Brigade supported the initial amphibious invasion at Inchon on 15 September 1950. The Brigade was subsequently cited for highly successful operation of the Ports of Suyong and Ulsan, from 31 July to 15 December 1953. During the conflict, the Brigade was redesignated on 26 June 1952 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Amphibious Support Brigade, and allotted to the Regular Army. In the end, the Brigade was credited with participation in 6 campaigns: UN Defensive, UN Offensive, CCF Intervention, First UN Counteroffensive, CCF Spring Offensive, and UN Summer-Fall Offensive. Following the armistice in Korea, the 2nd Amphibious Support Brigade was eventually relocated to Camp McGill, Chigasaki, Japan, in December 1953. It was inactivated there on 24 June 1955.
The Brigade was reactivated on 13 November 1956 at Fort Belvoir, Virginia and was inactivated on 25 August 1965 at Fort Story, Virginia. While inactivate, the unit was redesignated on 10 September 2009 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Engineer Brigade.
On 16 September 2011, the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3rd Maneuver Enhancement Brigade was inactivated and its personnel reflagged as Headquarters and Headquarters, 2nd Engineer Brigade, which was concurrently reactivated at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska as part of US Army Alaska (USARAK). The 17th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion, 6th Engineer Battalion, and 793rd Military Police Battalion remained assigned to the newly activated unit. The 9th Army Band and the USARAK NCO Academy were also assigned to the Brigade. The Northern Warfare Training Center was reassigned directly to USARAK.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|