2nd Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment
The 2nd Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment was first constituted on 11 January 1812 in the Regular Army as the 14th Infantry. It was further organized throughout March 1812 in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. It was later consolidated between May and October 1815 with the 18th and 20th Infantry (both constituted 11 January 1812) and the 36th and 38th Infantry (both constituted 29 January 1813) to form the 4th Infantry. It was then Consolidated on 31 March 1869 with the 30th Infantry and consolidated unit designated as the 4th Infantry.
30th Infantry had a seperate lineage, being constituted on 3 May 1861 in the Regular Army as Company B, 3rd Battalion, 12th Infantry. This unit was organized on 23 December 1865 at Fort Hamilton, New York and reorganized and redesignated on 7 December 1866 as Company B, 30th Infantry. This unit was subsequently consolidated with 4th Infantry.
Subsequent to the Mexican War and until the blue uniform was abolished, the Band of the 4th Infantry was authorized to wear a scarlet piping on the chevrons and trousers stripes in commemoration of the Regiment's distinguished service in the battle of Monterey in turning a captured battery of artillery against the enemy. The scarlet perpetuated this distinguished service of an element of the Regiment. Green was the predominating color of the coat of arms of the Regiment. It also symbolized the service of the 4th Infantry in the Mexican War.
On 1 October 1917 it was assigned to the 3rd Division and subsequently saw service in the 1st World War. It was then relieved on 15 May 1940 from assignment to the 3rd Division. After this it was assigned on 1 November 1945 to the 25th Infantry Division. Later, it was inactivated on 31 January 1947 in Japan. Two years later it was relieved on 1 February 1947 from assignment to the 25th Infantry Division.
The unit was activatedon 1 October 1948 at Fort Lewis, Washington as the 4th Infantry, and was assigned 10 October 1954 to the 71st Infantry Division. It was relieved on 15 September 1956 from assignment to the 71st Infantry Division.
It was reorganized and redesignated on 15 February 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Battle Group, 4th Infantry, and assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division, its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. The Battle Group was relieved on 18 April 1963 from assignment to the 3rd Infantry Division, and subsequently inactivated on 3 June 1963 in Germany.
The unit was redesignated on 21 July 1969 as the 2nd Battalion, 4th Infantry, and activated at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. This unit was inactivated on 15 May 1991 in Germany.
In 16 January 2005 the unit was assigned to the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, and activated at Fort Polk, Louisiana. It was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 2nd Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment. This reactivation was part of the shift in the US Army toward a modular force structure, which included the creation of a fourth brigade for reorganized modular divsions.
After its activation and subsequent training and staffing requirements were met 2-4th Infantry formed the nucleus of Task Force Warrior, a light Infantry Task Force that conducted combat and nation-building operations in Kabul, and other provinces, in Southern Afghanistan. This deployment was as part of a multi-national, Coalition brigade, assigned to International Stabilization Assitance Force (ISAF). Later, Task Force Warrior moved to eastern Afghanistan to support operations being conducted by the 10th Mountain Division as part of Combined Joint Task Force 76. Task Force Warrior returned home in November 2006.
After spending most of 2007 at Fort Polk, the 2-4th Infantry deployed again with other elements of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division to Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|