2nd Squadron - 107th Cavalry Regiment
The 2nd Squadron, 107th Cavalry Regiment was originally constituted on 7 May 1877 in the Ohio National Guard and organized from new and existing units. The 1st Troop disbanded on 28 January 1879 at Cincinnati; The 2nd and 3rd Troops disbanded 1882-83 at Hillsboro and Shelby, respectively.
The 1st Cleveland Troop organized on 28 April 1886 at Cleveland. It was redesignated in 1895 as Troop A (1st Cleveland Troop) before being expanded, reorganized, and redesignated on 3 May 1898 as Troops A, B, C, 1st Ohio Volunteer Cavalry; the remainder of regiment being organized from new and existing units. The 1st Ohio Volunteer Cavalry mustered into Federal service 9-11 May 1898 at Camp Bushnell, Ohio; mustered out of Federal service 22-24 October 1898 at Cleveland. The Former Troop A (1st Cleveland Troop) reorganized on 14 April 1899 in the Ohio National Guard at Cleveland; Troop B reorganized on 12 December 1902 in the Ohio National Guard at Columbus.
The unit reorganized on 25 July 1910 as the 1st Cavalry Squadron with Headquarters at Cleveland (Troops C and D organized in 1911 at Cincinnati and Toledo, respectively). It was mustered into Federal service on 6 July 1916 at Columbus and mustered out on 28 February 1917 at Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN.
It expanded on 16 April 1917 as the 1st Cavalry. It was expanded, converted, and redesignated on 23 May 1917 as the 2nd and 3rd Field Artillery. It was mustered into Federal service on 15 July 1917 at Cleveland and Youngstown, respectively and drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 15 September 1917 as the 135th and the 136th Field Artillery, respectively, and assigned to the 37th Division before being demobilized on 10 April 1919 at Camp Sherman, OH.
The unit was converted, reorganized, and Federally recognized between 20 October 1919 - 18 November 1920 in the Ohio National Guard as the 1st Cavalry with Headquarters at Cincinnati. It was later redesignated on 1 July 1921 as the 107th Cavalry, an element of the 22nd Cavalry Division, relocating its headquarters on 10 May 1927 to Cleveland.
The unit consolidated on 1 November 1940 with the 22nd Reconaissance Squadron (organized and Federally recognized 15 September 1939 with Headquarters at Cincinnati) and the consolidated unit was designated as the 107th Cavalry; it was concurrently relieved from assignment to the 22nd Cavalry Division. It was inducted into Federal service on 5 March 1941 at home stations.
The regiment was broken up on 1 January 1944 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
- Headquarters and Headquarters Troop as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 107th Cavalry Group, Mechanized
- 2nd Squadron as the 107th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized
- 1st Squadron as the 22nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized (hereafter seperate lineage).
After 1 January 1944, the above units underwent changes as follows:
- Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 107th Cavalry Group, Mechanized, inactivated 6 March 1945 at Camp Polk, LA
- 107th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized, inactivated 16 November 1945 at Camp Bowie, TX
It was reorganized and Federally recognized on 10 November 1947 as the 107th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron with Headquarters at Cleveland. Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 107th Cavalry Group, and 107th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron consolidated on 15 September 1949 with the 185th Tank Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 12 December 1946 - 30 March 1949 with Headquarters at Cincinnati) and the consolidated unit designated as the 107th Armored Cavalry at Cleveland (The 3rd Squadron was allotted on 1 May 1968 to the West Virginia Army National Guard).
The Regiment (less 1st Squadron) reorganized on 1 May 1977 in the Ohio Army National Guard (Troop A, Support Squadron, was allotted on 1 October 1986 to the West Virginia Army National Guard and reallotted on 15 October 1990 to the Ohio Army National Guard). It was placed on 1 June 1989 under the United States Army Regimental System
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 September 1993 as the 107th Cavalry to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division. It was reorganized on 31 March 1994 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division, and the 2nd Squadron; and on 1 September 1994 to consist of the 1st Battalion and the 2nd Squadron, elements of the 38th Infantry Division.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|