189th Infantry Brigade (Training Support)
The 189th Infantry Brigade (Training Support) has the primary responsibility to train, coach, teach, and mentor mobilizing Reserve and Army National Guard units. It provides training assistance, support, and evaluation to priority Reserve Component units and all other units within capabilities. This responsibility also requires synchronization of training support within the brigade's area of responsibility in order to enhance individual and unit readiness to meet direct mobilization and wartime requirements.
Constituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 189th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 95th Division. The unit was organized in 1922 at Muskogee, Oklahoma. It was redesignated on 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 189th Brigade and on 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 189th Infantry Brigade. Its location was changed in 1940 to McAlester, Oklahoma.
The unit was converted and redesignated on 13 February 1942 as the 95th Reconnaissance Troop (less 3rd Platoon), 95th Division (Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 190th Infantry Brigade was concurrently converted and redesignated as the 3rd Platoon, 95th Reconnaissance Troop, 95th Division). The Troop was ordered into active military service on 15 July 1942 and reorganized at Camp Swift, Texas, as the 95th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 95th Division (later redesignated as the 95th Infantry Division). It wa reorganized and redesignated again on 1 August 1943 as the 95th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized. During the Second World War, the unit participated in 4 campaigns in the European Theater of Operations: Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. Following the end of the Second World War the unit was inactivated on 8 October 1945 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi.
The unit was redesignated on 26 December 1947 as the 95th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop and activated on 9 January 1948 at Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Its location was changed on 17 December 1948 to Stillwater, Oklahoma. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 30 June 1949 as the 95th Reconnaissance Company and inactivated on 15 September 1951 at Stillwater, Oklahoma. It was reactivated on 1 March 1952 at Jonesboro, Arkansas. Its location was changed 1 June 1955 to Wewoka, Oklahoma and the unit was eventually disbanded on 1 April 1959 at Wewoka, Oklahoma. During this period, the Organized Reserves was redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps, which in turn was redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The 95th Reconnaissance Company remained a part of this organized throughout the redesignations.
The 95th Reconnaissance Company (less 3rd Platoon) was reconstituted no 21 January 1963 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 189th Infantry Brigade (3rd Platoon, 95th Reconnaissance Company was concurrently reconstituted in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 3rd Brigade, 24th Infantry Division, which thereafter had a separate lineage).
The unit was withdrawn on 24 October 1997 from the Regular Army and allotted to the Army Reserve, with its Headquarters concurrently activated at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The unit was inactivated on 16 October 1999 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
The unit's Headquarters was reactivated on 1 December 2006 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina with the reactivation of 189th Infantry Brigade as a training support brigade.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|