The 397th Cavalry was organized December 1921 in Clarksburg, WV as an element of the 100th Division.
The unit was ordered into active milirary service in November 1942 at Fort Jackson, SC. After the war the unit was inactivated at Camp Oatrick Henry, VA in January 1946.
The unit was redesignated in October 1946 as the 397th Parachute Infantry, and was made an element of the 100th Infantry Division. It was later activiated with a headquarters in Lexington, KY.
In May 1952 the unit was reorganized and redesignated as the 397th Infantry, an element of the 100th Infantry Division.
In April 1959 the unit was again reorganized and was redesignated as the 397th Regiment (Basic Combat Training), an element of the 100th Division (Training). The unit was ordered into active military service during the Berlin Crisis, stationed at Fort Chaffee, AR from 24 September 1961 to August 1962.
The unit was reorganized in January 1968 with the 3rd Battalion allocated to the 1st Brigade (Basic Combat Training) an element of the 100th Division (Training).
The unit was later reorganized and redesignated October 1978 as 3rd Squadron, 397th Cavalry and was allocated to the 1sr Brigade (OSUT)(AR).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|