104th Division (Institutional Training)
The 104th Division was located at Vancouver Barracks in Vancouver, but recommended in the 2005 BRAC Recommendations to relocate to Fort Lewis, WA. Washington with subordinate units throughout the twelve Western States. The Division is Commanded by a Major General.
In September 1996 the 104th Division welcomed 15 United States Army Reserve Schools to the Division. The Division undergoes a transition from an OSUT Division to a Division (Institutional Training) unit. During Annual Training, units of the First Brigade supplement an Active Army Training Battalion at Fort Sill, Oklahoma and assume the full time training of 800 new soldiers per year. The 7th Brigade (Training Support) has responsibility for training Reserve Officet Training Corps (ROTC) Cadets at Fort Lewis, Washington. In addition, they train new drill sergeants and in-process new soldiers. TASS or the School Brigade units instruct officer and NCO professional development courses. They also provide Military Occupational Skill (MOS) instruction for over 80,000 Army Reserve and National Guard soldiers from throughout the twelve Western States.
Constituted 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters, 104th Division. Organized 7 October 1921 at Salt Lake City, Utah. Redesignated 6 April 1942 as Division Headquarters, 104th Division. Ordered into active military service 15 September 1942 and reorganized at Camp Adair, Oregon, as Headquarters, 104th Infantry Division.
Members of the 104th Infantry Division, known as "Timberwolves," still get inspiration from the slogan of a former commanding general, Terry Allen: "Nothing in hell can stop the Timberwolves." Allen commanded the 104th during its most trying months of World War II, when it battled Adolf Hitler's Wehrmacht troops in Western Europe.
The 104th Infantry Division landed in France on 7 September 1944. It moved into defensive positions in the vicinity of Wuestwezel, Belgium, 23 October 1944, and went over to the, offensive on the 26th, taking Zundert, gaining control of the Breda-Roosendaal Road and overrunning Vaart Canal defenses. Leur and Etten fell as the Division advanced to the Mark River, 31 October. A coordinated attack over the Mark River at Standaarduiten, 2 November 1944, established a bridgehead. Zevenbergen was captured and the Maas River reached on 5 November. While the bulk of the Division moved near Aachen, Germany, elements remained to secure Moerdijk before being relieved on 7 November.
The 104th attacked, 16 November, taking Stolberg and pushing on against heavy resistance. Eschweiler fell on the 21st and the enemy was cleared from the area west of the Inde River including Inden by 2 December. Lucherberg was held against enemy counterattacks on 3 December, and all strongholds west of the Roer River were captured by the 23d. The 104th actively defended its sector near Duren and Merken from 15 December 1944 to 22 February 1945. Then it moved across the Roer taking Huchem-Stammeln, Birkesdorf, and North Duren. On 5 March, after heavy fighting, it entered Koln. After defending the west bank of the Rhine, the Division crossed the river at Honnef, 22 March 1945, and attacked to the east of the Remagen bridgehead. After a period of mopping up and consolidation, it participated in the trap of enemy troops in the Ruhr pocket. The 104th repulsed heavy attacks near Medebach and captured Paderborn, 1 April 1945. After regrouping, it advanced to the east and crossed the Weser River on the 8th, blocking enemy exits from the Harz Mountains. The Division then crossed the Saale River and took Halle in a bitter 5-day struggle, 15 to 19 April. The sector to the Mulde River was cleared by the 21st, and after vigorous patrolling, the Division contacted the Red Army at Pretzsch, 26 April. The 104th left for home and inactivation 27 June.
The 104th Infantry Division was inactivated 20 December 1945 at Camp San Luis Obispo, California. Activated 1 December 1946 at Portland, Oregon. (Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve.) The 104th Division turned out 300 reservists for its first summer training camp in July 1948. By 1952, the number had grown to 1,500, and in later years even more were involved in training. Reorganized and redesignated 10 June 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 104th Division (Training). Location changed 1 November 1961 to Vancouver Barracks, Washington.
In October 1978 the Division implemented the new mission of an Infantry One Station Unit Training (OSUT) program which combined Basic Combat Training (BCT) , Advanced Individual Training (AIT) and Combat Support Training (CST). The Division consisted of Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Training Group, Leadership Academy, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Brigades, and the 6218th Reception Battalion and was dispersed over the states of Washingtom, Oregon, and California.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD recommended to relocate the 104th Division (IT) to Fort Lewis; its former home, Vancouver Barracks, was recommended for closure. This recommendation associated with this move would transform Army Reserve command and control by consolidating two major headquarters onto Fort Lewis.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|