3rd Brigade, 104th Division
3rd Brigade (CS), headquartered at Vancouver Barracks, Washington was originally the 329th Engineers, an element of the 104th Division when organized in 1921. During World War II, the 329th Engineer Combat Battalion served in the European Theater of Operations, earning three Campaign Steamers for its service with the 104th Infantry Division. In 1967 the 329th Engineer Battalion was converted and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment 3rd Brigade 104th Division
The unit was constituted 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as the 329th Engineers and assigned to the 104th Division (later redesignated as the 104th Infantry Division). Organized 1 December 1921 with Headquarters at Salt Lake City, Utah. Redesignated (less 2d Battalion) 6 April 1942 as the 329th Engineer Battalion (2d Battalion-hereafter separate lineage). Ordered into active military service 15 September 1942 and reorganized at Camp Adair, Oregon, as the 329th Engineer Combat Battalion. Inactivated 10 December 1945 at Camp San Luis Obispo, California. Activated 15 June 1947 with Headquarters at Tacoma, Washington. (Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve.) (Location of Headquarters changed 1 March 1950 to Seattle, Washington.) Reorganized and redesignated 15 November 1952 as the 329th Engineer Battalion. Inactivated (less Companies A and B) 18 September 1959 at Seattle, Washington (Companies A and B-hereafter separate lineages).
Headquarters, 329th Engineer Battalion, converted and redesignated 24 November 1967 as Headquarters, 3d Brigade, 104th Division (Training). Activated 10 January 1968 at Fort Lawton, Washington. Location changed 1 August 1989 to Bothell, Washington; on 15 September 1993 to Fort Lewis, Washington. Inactivated 15 September 1995 at Fort Lewis, Washington. Activated 16 November 1996 at Vancouver Barracks, Washington.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|