29B6 Konteyner OTHR - Development
The initial commissioning of a Konteyner radar station in the Russian region of Mordovia east-southeast of Moscow in 2013 marked the completion of the latest part of Russia's program to patch up its radar surveillance coverage, which developed huge gaps after many of the Soviet radar stations were taken over by new states and many others fell into post-Soviet disrepair.
Adding to this is the fact that many of the Soviet Union's former allies are now in NATO. This means the holes in Russia's air and space defense system have to be closed. Hence the deployment of several Voronezh missile-detecting radars and now of the Konteyner radar.
With the collapse of the Soviet Union, it became impossible to operate them, and in the early 1990ís came the idea of creating the next generation of over the horizon radar. By one account the program's development started in 2007, but evidently work began much earlier. The first OTH radar of this type was the Volna created for the Soviet VMF, entered service in 1990. The second was the Telets. Both serve with the Pacific Fleet, and have been used to track US Naval assets. Container was originally a mobile OTH radar, with ranges of 1000 to 2000 kms. The first buyers of the new generation of Russian OTH-RADAR became the Chinese. The first one started trials in 2000. Apparently new automated command and control systems for the VVS include the ability to receive information from Container.
A place to organize the first "Container" was chosen in 1995 on the basis of storage technology. Among the candidates considered Smolensk, Kapustin Yar, Tambov and the Republic of Kazakhstan. The decisive factors were the protected area in the country and loyal attitude of the local authorities, who identified the ground not only for the new radar station, but also for the construction of perspective objects within it. The first "Container" was tested and showed steady detection purposes at the beginning of the year 2000. But the Russian army did not adopt it. Restructuring, reform of the Armed Forces significantly delayed the process of creating the first radar.
The first "Container", according to some sources, was being tested in 2002 near the town of Gorodets. The station in Kovylkino was constructed in 2002 and before statement on watch passed tests. It should be noted that in Kovylkino it is placed reception and hardware parts of "container" while other equipment are near Forodts in the Nizhny Novgorod region.
Kovylkino city situated on the left bank of the river Moksha - tributary of the Oka, 100 km south-west of the capital of Mordovia Saransk. The oldest settlement on the site of the present city - Resurrection Lashma - was founded in 1237 during the invasion of the Tatars. Before the Revolution, the town was a major transportation hub. In 1919 it received its present name in honor of the Commissioner of Railways Stepan Kovylkino. It would have lived this modest provincial Mordvinian town life, if at the end of the 1990s the military did not come here and build roads. Since 2013, the whole world learned of the existence of Kovylkino.
The 590th separate radio-technical station was put on trial duty in Kovylkino, Mordovia, on 02 December 2013. Measures were taken in the period from May 1 through November 30 jointly with industry specialists to prepare the personnel and hardware of the 590th separate radio-technical station for the trial. The 590th separate radio-technical station was put on trial duty as part of a command post incorporating computing hardware, a transmission and reception complex, and a communication and data transfer complex.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|