UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)


Kansk
5622'N 9528'E

In 1959, the formation of parts of the Strategic Missile Forces began. On April 1, 1959, after a complete reorganization, a new stage began in the history of the division. As a missile division, it is initially part of the 50th Air Long Range Aviation Army (VA DA). The city of Valga in the Estonian SSR was chosen as the place of its deployment. It was armed with the R-5M and R-12 missile systems. During the 1959-1960s, units of the division studied and mastered new equipment, went to the State Range to carry out combat training launches (in total, 22 were carried out and all were rated "excellent"). On March 15, 1960, the division was reorganized again and was transferred from the 50 VA DA to the Strategic Missile Forces. By July 1, 1960, the missile division was formed.

Directorate of the Oryol-Berlin Guards Order of Lenin, Red Banner Missile Division, military unit 93791), was formed on July 1, 1960 on the basis of the 25th Aviation Division under the command of the Hero of the Soviet Union, Guards Major General Nikolai Kuzmich Spiridenko. In the fiery crucible of the war years, on July 21, 1941, the 81st Special Purpose Aviation Division began to form as part of the 420th and 421st Aviation Regiments. The regiments were armed with long-range bombers Er-2, TB-7. Later, the 212th Aviation Regiment, armed with long-range Il-4 bombers, entered the division.

A well-known polar pilot, a participant in the operation to rescue the expedition aboard the motor ship "Chelyuskin", one of the first Heroes of the Soviet Union, brigade commander Mikhail Vasilyevich Vodopyanov, was appointed commander of the air division. On August 8, 1941, the formation of the 81st Long-Range Aviation Division (81th Infantry Division) was completed.

On August 8, 1941, the formation of the 81st Long-Range Aviation Division (81th Infantry Division) was completed. 81 hell DD was directly subordinate to the Headquarters of the Supreme High Command of the Red Army (VGK KA). On the same day, the headquarters of the 81st ad DD received an order from the Supreme Command of the Space Command about the preparation and conduct of raids on Berlin. August 10, 1941 with the use of the "jump" airfield in the city of Pushkin, Leningrad Region. On the Er-2 and TB-7 planes attached to the division, the best crews inflicted their first bomb attack on the enemy's lair. In total, during the first raid on the capital of Nazi Germany, 10 tons of high-explosive and incendiary bombs were dropped.

In the summer of 1942, the division repeatedly bombed military-industrial facilities in Germany, Hungary, Poland, and Romania. After being reorganized in the fall of 1942, 2 air regiments (AP) were included in the structure of the 3rd AD DD: 4 and 748 AP, the latter for the displayed courage and courage, for the heroism of the personnel by order of the NKO No. 250 dated 08/18/1942, received the title of "Guards" and was renamed the 2nd Guards Long-Range Aviation Regiment.

In the second half of September 1942, the division switches from long-range flights to actions in the interests of the Stalingrad front. In early October, all regiments were relocated to the Vypolzovo airfield. For successful hostilities and the significant contribution of the pilots to the successful defense of Stalingrad, the 4th AP received the honorary name "Stalingrad" and the title of "Guards". It became known as the 6th Guards Stalingrad Long-Range Aviation Regiment.

On April 21, 1945, the troops of the 1st Belorussian and 1st Ukrainian fronts began the battle for Berlin. On the night of April 21, the 11th Guards in full force delivered a massive bombing strike against enemy resistance centers, accumulations of troops and equipment on the eastern and northeastern outskirts of the city.

By order of the Supreme Commander-in-Chief No. 0111 of 06/11/1945, the 11th Guards Bomber Aviation Oryol Red Banner Division was given a second honorary title - "Berlin". For courage and heroism shown in battles, 33 soldiers of the division were awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union, and three of them were awarded this title twice - A.I. Molodchiy, V.N. Osipov, P.A.

The personnel of the division in fierce battles demonstrated examples of military skill, valor, courage, bravery and mass heroism. For the exemplary performance of combat missions and assignments of the command on the fronts of the struggle against the German fascist invaders, the following were awarded: the Order of Lenin - 52 people, the Order of the Red Banner - 317 people, the Order of Kutuzov II degree - 1 person, the Order of Suvorov III degree - 4 people, the Order of Alexander Nevsky - 13 people, the Order of the Patriotic War I degree - 230 people, the Order of the Patriotic War II degree - 167 people, the Order of the Red Star - 603 people. The Great Patriotic War ended and the 11th Aviation Division again took up a combat watch, protecting the borders of the Motherland.

On October 1, 1960, after the formation of a missile army on the basis of 50 VA DA with headquarters in the city of Smolensk, the missile division became part of it, having R-12 in service. In accordance with the Directive of the General Staff of the Armed Forces No. 9/61948 of January 17, 1961 and the Directive of the General Staff of the Strategic Missile Forces No. 646739 of November 13, 1961, the missile division's honorary titles and government awards were retained by continuity.

In 1961, the missile division took up combat duty. On April 18 of this year, 94 RP in full force and part of combat crews of 846 RP were the first to take up combat duty. In general, 3 regiments took up combat duty during the year. By 1965, all the division's missile regiments were on alert. By this time, 52 R-12 launchers and 8 R-12U launchers were in service.

In 1966, the combat crews of the compound conducted 8 combat training launches of missiles, of which 7 from the State Range and one from the silo launcher BSP 846 rp. 7 launches were carried out with the rating "excellent" and one - "satisfactory". In 1967 - 4 launches ("excellent"), in 1968 - 4 launches ("excellent"), in 1969 - 6 launches, of which - 4 with "excellent" and 2 with "good", in 1970 - 6 launches ("excellent" rating), in 1971 - 5 launches, of which 2 with "excellent" and 3 with "good". In total, out of 38 combat training launches during this period, the division's combat crews conducted 35 launches of 8K63 missiles and 3 launches of 8K63U missiles.

Every year, the regiments of the division and the RTB twice went sub-divisional to the training positional area to carry out combat duty at the highest levels of readiness. In August 1967, the division was subjected to a final check by the commission of the 50th RA Commander. According to the results of the check, the division was assessed as "good". In accordance with the decree of the Strategic Missile Forces Military Council No. 46 of 26.10.67, the division was awarded the Commemorative Red Banner of the Strategic Missile Forces Military Council.

For its great contribution to the strengthening of the country's defensive power, successes in combat training, mastering complex military equipment, and in connection with the 50th anniversary of the Soviet Army and the Navy, the 23rd Guards Missile Division was awarded the Order of Lenin (Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR dated 02.22.68 g.), and in accordance with the order of the USSR Ministry of Defense No. 0038 dated 02.22.68, the division received the name "23rd Guards Missile Oryol-Berlin Order of Lenin Red Banner Division".

During the Czechoslovak crisis (August 1968), the Strategic Missile Forces, including the 23rd Division, were put on high alert. For the first time, combat warheads were docked to 8K63 missiles. All personnel were on the BSP with weapons and ammunition and were on duty in two shifts.

In total, during the period from 1961 to 1982, the division carried out 50 combat training missile launches with an "excellent" rating. On December 12, 1983, the division took up combat duty on the RSD-10 Pioneer missile system. The first to enter combat duty was military unit 29521 (regiment commander Lieutenant Colonel V.I. Veretelnik).





NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 18-02-2022 19:01:02 ZULU