Soviet / Russian False Alarms
- On January 13, 1978, at 9:08 am, the Irkutsk node of the missile attack warning system received information about the discovery of a Chinese ballistic missile attacking the territory of the USSR. At the command post of the missile attack warning system, warning information “Attention. Start. Rocket attack ". The reason for the formation of the warning information was the launch of a simulator of a ballistic missile strike at the Irkutsk node during its preparation for a visit by the Secretary of the CPSU Central Committee, who was in charge of defense issues at that time.
- On July 30, 1978, at 20:00:05, the Irkutsk missile attack warning system unit detected a planned launch of a Chinese ballistic missile with a point of impact on Chinese territory in the Taklamakan Desert, near the junction of the borders of China, Afghanistan and the USSR. But the combat program generated and issued signals to the notified control points “Attention. Start. Rocket attack ”, which, according to the logic of combat work, should not have happened. After 25 seconds, the program "corrected" its mistake by indicating the point of impact on the territory of China. The reason was that, in order to save machine memory, the configuration of the protected area did not coincide with the actual border line.
- In March 1979, the calculation of the CP of the early warning system, carrying out functional control of the combat program of the reserve computer, without hearing a report on the disconnection of the reference trajectory (the flight path of a ballistic missile from a US base to one of the cities of the USSR), put the computer into combat mode. A false alarm occurred.
- On April 6, 1980, from 17:25 to 17:26:30 and from 17:30 to 17:59, warning information on a powerful noise interference was issued from the Riga node . The Sun turned out to be a source of interference. At IZMIR AN it was confirmed that a powerful outburst occurred on the Sun at that time. 
- On August 12, 1981, the Murmansk knot was suppressed by a powerful obstacle. Warning information was issued to the points to be notified. The reason was the inclusion of the Earth remote sensing equipment on the Interkosmos-19 satellite when it passed through the radar coverage area.
- On December 25, 1982, according to the data of the Sevastopol and Balkhash nodes, warning information was generated due to a powerful noise interference from the Sun.
- On September 26, 1983 , the US-K "Oko" satellite missile launch detection system, due to the illumination of the detection sensors by the sun's rays reflected from the clouds, issued data on the launch of ICBMs from the United States to the SPRN command post . (Strictly speaking, this case is not a case of a false triggering of an early warning system. It was a false triggering of one of the subsystems of an early warning missile system, which did not lead to the issuance of false warning information to the notified control points). In 1984 [date not specified] a false alert was given to Soviet forces at sea, resulting in higher alert and preparation for war. This resulted in a similar response by Japanese and US forces. After 30 minutes, the error was realized [this incident is very poorly attested].
- In September 1985, during a test launch of a domestic ballistic missile at an abnormal altitude of 4,000 kilometers, the Balkhash node generated warning information. The reason is that the “Own BR” algorithm did not work at the command post of the early warning system.
- In 2012, the Central Command Center of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation with the command post of the Main Center of the PRN issued false information "Attention. Start. II echelon" based on the results of the functioning of the Balkhash and Sofrinsky nodes due to inconsistency in the work of combat programs. According to General S.A.Lobova , the then Deputy Commander of the troops of the East Kazakhstan area , one of the main reasons for the formation and release of information prevent disunity was interacting systems EOP , ABM and CCP as a result of the elimination of management 3rd OA RKO (OH) and the creation of a space command ofTroops of the East Kazakhstan region . 
- In August 2015, the situation in 2012 was repeated. Radar "Danube-3U" , which was part of the main center of the KKP , gave false information to the command post of the early warning system . The combat crews of the node and the Main Center of the KKP were not ready to interact in this situation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|