The 19,000 ton Hunley class submarine tender was configured especially to service FBM submarines -- the first new tender designed to support ballistic missile submarines.
Naval auxiliary ships carry out a variety of missions in support of combatants. Along with destroyer tenders, the submarine tenders are the largest of the active auxiliaries. Their crews are formed mainly of technicians and repairmen.
USS Hunley, named in honor of the Confederate submarine designer and operator Horace Lawson Hunley (1823-1863), was built at Newport News, Virginia and commissioned in June 1962. She was based at Holy Loch, Scotland, and Charleston, South Carolina, during 1963-67. Over the next twelve years, she was the SSBN tender at Guam and at Charleston, with time out in 1971-72 to be fitted to handle the larger Poseidon missiles. The ship was again stationed at Holy Loch in 1982-87. Hunley's final service was as tender to attack submarines at U.S. East Coast ports. She was decommissioned and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in September 1994.
The Holland was in Guam from 1993 through 1996, prior to decommissioning in May 1996 in Bremerton WA.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|