Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2011 - United States Special Weapons News
- US to modernize nuclear weapons arsenal in Europe: report IRNA 29 May 2011 -- The United States is to refurbish its nuclear weapons stockpile in Europe, the Hamburg-based weekly Der Spiegel said Saturday.
- Remarks by President Obama and President Medvedev of Russia after Bilateral Meeting in Deauville, France The White House 26 May 2011
- FACT SHEET: U.S.-Russia Agreements and Joint Statements The White House 26 May 2011
- Medvedev, Obama discuss missile defense, visas, terrorism at G8 summit RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev and his U.S. counterpart Barack Obama agreed to continue joint work.
- Reset in U.S.-Russian Relations Paying Off, Obama Says AFPS 26 May 2011 -- The reset in U.S.-Russian relations is paying off with progress on the security and economic fronts, the U.S. and Russian presidents said in Deauville, France today.
- U.S. lifts Rosatom American market restrictions RIA Novosti 26 May 2011 -- The US Commerce Dept. removed the Russian Rosatom from list of restricted companies requiring special licensing.
- Strategic Concerns Complicate Efforts to Cut US Defense Spending VOA 25 May 2011 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates is making the case for strategic thinking about defense.
- U.S. Tests New Type Nuclear Weapon KCNA 25 May 2011 -- The U.S. is still keen on testing nuclear weapons.
- 'Small but critical' unit moving to F.E. Warren AFNS 25 May 2011 -- The commander of Air Force Global Strike Command plans to relocate the Missile Engineer Squadron to F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo.
- U.S. Involved in Radioactive Leakage in Japan KCNA 25 May 2011 -- It was recently disclosed that the U.S. was involved in radioactive materials leakage in Japan.
- Rodong Sinmun on US Nuclear Policy KCNA 24 May 2011 -- US pressured Japan to permit and connive at the military actions for its nuclear operations.
- 12 Taiwanese sue Japan for compensation from 1945 atomic bomb CNA 23 May 2011 -- A total of 13 Taiwanese and Chinese nationals, who witnessed and survived the 1945 Nagasaki and Hiroshima atomic bomb blasts, filed a lawsuit with the Hiroshima District Court.
- US admin. optimistic about CTBT ratification RIA Novosti 11 May 2011 -- Senate debates on the US-Russian New START have paved the way for the future ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty.
- Assistant secretary of defense talks nuclear deterrence, treaties AFNS 11 May 2011 -- Defense official visited Airmen responsible for maintaining and protecting America's nuclear deterrent.
- US Concerned about Disclosure of US-Japan Secret Pacts on Nuclear Arms KCNA 11 May 2011 -- It was confirmed that the U.S. repeatedly expressed concern about the disclosure of the U.S.-Japan secret pacts on nuclear arms.
- Keesler AFB, Vandenberg AFB Airmen build missile trainer AFNS 11 May 2011 -- Airmen from the 81st Training Support Squadron Simware section partnering with Airmen from the 532nd Training Squadron to build an ICBM maintenance virtual trainer.
- Final Scheduled Mustard Shipment Safely Delivered To Disposal Facility Army News 11 May 2011 -- Workers completed the last scheduled shipment of chemical agent munitions in an On-Site Container from the Deseret Chemical Depot's storage area.
- Serious Safety Violation Cited at US Nuclear Plant VOA 10 May 2011 -- The U.S. nuclear oversight agency has cited a nuclear power plant in Alabama for a serious safety violation.
- Secretary Clinton Remarks at the Opening Session of the U.S.-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue US Dept. of State 09 May 2011
- Umatilla Chemical Agent Depot processing final 1,000 ton containers Army News 06 May 2011 -- On May 5, 2011 the Umatilla Chemical Agent Disposal Facility destroyed its 1,635th mustard agent filled ton container, leaving 1,000 TCs remaining in inventory. This represents destruction of 62 percent of the HD mustard ton containers and 99.5 percent of the chemical stockpile. UMCDF is in its 13th and final agent destruction campaign which began in June 2009.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list