Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2023 United Nations News
2023 Global Special Weapons News
- UN Disarmament Chief: Risk of Nuclear Weapon Use Is Highest Since Cold War VOA 31 Mar 2023 -- The United Nations disarmament chief warned Friday that the risk of a nuclear weapon being used is higher now than at any other time since the Cold War.
- Security Council: Despite progress on reforming global security, 'our work is not done' UN News 16 Mar 2023 -- The world's new security sector reform plan can achieve even further progress by developing the first-ever global study on women in defence, trimming reporting periods, and galvanizing Member States' support, the UN's top Rule of Law and Security Institutions official said on Thursday.
- IAEA Board of Governors Reappoints Director General Grossi for New 4-year Term IAEA 10 Mar 2023 -- The Board of Governors of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) today reappointed by acclamation Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi for a second four-year term in office beginning in early December 2023.
- IAEA Board of Governors: Iran, Ukraine and Peaceful Nuclear Pursuits IAEA 06 Mar 2023 -- Agreement with the Islamic Republic of Iran for the IAEA to proceed with further monitoring and verification measures is indispensable to the Agency fulfilling its mission, a written statement from Director General Rafael Mariano Grossi informed the IAEA's Board of Governors this morning. In his introductory remarks to the quarterly session of the 35-member Board, Mr Grossi outlined recent safeguards developments in Iran; IAEA nuclear safety, security and safeguards activities in Ukraine, and touched upon numerous advancements in IAEA programmes and initiatives.
- UN Secretary-General's remarks to the 52nd session of the Human Rights Council UN Secretary-General 27 Feb 2023
- 52nd Session of the UN Human Rights Council US Dept. of State 27 Feb 2023 -- Today begins the UN Human Rights Council's 52nd regular session. The United States returned to the body in January 2022 as a full member, fulfilling a pledge made by President Biden and reflecting the centrality of human rights and multilateralism to our nation's foreign policy.
- IAEA's Network for Response and Assistance for Nuclear Emergencies Grows Beyond 40 Countries IAEA 09 Feb 2023 -- The IAEA's Response and Assistance Network (RANET), a group of states offering international assistance to countries responding to nuclear and radiological emergencies, has grown to 41 countries after Italy registered this week.
- Sherman: China has 'penetrated' UN to declaw its oversight Radio Free Asia 09 Feb 2023 -- China's government has "penetrated" the United Nations, undercutting its oversight functions by stacking bodies like the U.N. Human Rights Council with its own people, U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman told a Senate hearing on Thursday.
- Secretary-General's briefing to the General Assembly on Priorities for 2023 UN Secretary-General 06 Feb 2023
- UN Chief: World Needs 'Wake-Up Call' VOA 06 Feb 2023 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned Monday that the world needs to wake up and take urgent action to change the trajectory on conflicts and geopolitical divisions, the climate crisis, and economic inequality.
- 'Act decisively before it is too late', Guterres warns countries, laying out his priorities for 2023 UN News 06 Feb 2023 -- Time is running out as the world inches closer to meltdown and countries must change course before it is too late, UN Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres warned on Monday, presenting his priorities for the year.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list